Ace of Clubs Ch. 3

It had been a long night and I wasn't exactly happy to meet the dawn. I always preferred our nightly games to the harassment I got in the daylight hours. Not that I didn't love every minute hunting Shelia but I was more comfortable sitting around in comfy clothes playing cards that had more meaning than most of the conversations that I have in a day. Taking a deep breath, I looked over at Aiden and smiled grimly at him. He didn't blink. Instead, he got up and shut my office door with a simple flick of his wrist and Fido yawned at the disturbance in his sleep. It had been awhile since I was able to have a moment of peace to myself with the new recruits and their problems.

"I wish I could have a chocolate smoothie right about now," I said and leaned back into my huge chair. A simple knock on the door interrupted my hopeful dream and Aiden opened it up to show Kyle standing there...with a chocolate smoothie.

"Are people reading my thoughts today?" I questioned Aiden before grinning at Kyle and taking the sweet dessert off his hands.

"They want you to be happy," Kyle muttered and retreated somewhere. A sickening feeling entered my stomach and I stared at the drink with a sudden loss of appetite.

"I guess they heard me screaming last night," I admitted to myself after a second and I pushed the drink away.

"They know what you've gone through and they don't blame you for it," the Irish man replied and looked out the window. He had seated himself in front of one of the huge windows and was watching the people bustling around downstairs.

"I feel so weak," I sighed and Fido licked my arm, which with more irony then it should have, was a real tongue, wet and warm with saliva. Putting my hand on his head, I looked at the ceiling and watched the patterns dance as Aiden amused me. He had become so much to me that I had no idea what I would do without him but I had to agree with his line of thinking. Even considering making him my dove would put the entire system down into the gutter. He would've undermined my position but he had said that he might...shaking my head, I sat back up and Fido smiled his doggy smile and jumped off my lap to bound over to him. Absentmindedly, he picked up the puppy and petted him. When we had first gotten back, I had changed the huge rock dog into a small puppy to follow me around, much like what Aiden did. Examining my desk, my eyes lit on the smoothie again and I rolled my eyes. At least people cared enough to bring me one of the happiness shakes. Smiling to myself, I picked up the spoon and dipped it in.

"Mina! There's someone here to see you!" A voice shouted through the room and I dropped the spoon on my pants.

"Crap!" I exclaimed and ran out of the room to get new pants. Aiden was waiting outside my door, when I came out and I glanced at him and I hurried out of the room.

"It's someone from the government," he announced and I stopped and started at him. He only looked back at me just as serious and I started running down the hallway to the stairs.

"Wouldn't the elevator be faster?" He questioned following me and I looked back at him and grinned.

"Not when you can fall through floors," I replied and did exactly that. I landed on a soft couch that I suspected was Aiden doing and I saw him seemingly gliding down the stairs at a pace that very few people could match.

"It would've been nice to warn me," He shouted down at me and I waited for him. Only a few seconds later did he show up and I smiled at him.

"Ready?" I questioned and he scowled at me. I grinned back and winked. It's not like he was panting or anything. He's been through worse than that. We both have.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready with anything that has to do with you," He responded and a bubble of laughter got out of my throat before I could stop it.