Ace of Clubs Ch. 1

I was in a café. It was a nice one with lots of decorations for the holidays. Halloween always made me smile, all the ghosts and ghouls coming out to play which are really little kids in costumes and make up. As I pondered over the scarred tradition, I felt a light tap on my shoulder and looked over at the man standing behind me. Short red hair gave way to calm green eyes and a face with a cross like scar, my right hand man, the Ace of Clubs. He was silent with mostly everyone but me and I wouldn't have doubted it from the start but after the Shelia episode as we liked to call it, he just never felt like speaking to anyone else. Which was perfectly fine with me, I was one of the few people he trusted after all. Then again, who wouldn't trust their queen? He hasn't left me alone for longer than five minutes after that scene and I knew why. We both did. It didn't mean that I was going to push him away. He needed me as much as I needed him. We had been the only two in that building at the time who had seen the horrific ritual there.

"Is something amusing?" Aiden asked glancing around at the crowd with contemplation.

"No, nothing much. I was just wondering why Halloween makes me smile," I replied and he sat across from me. He had been watching our target, a man who we believed to be the Six of Hearts, a lawyer. Of course the five minute rule had applied and he had just put cameras in every room of his house and office.

"Why would such a gruesome holiday make you happy?" He question turning back to me and I shrugged. I didn't know.

"Who knows? I just like the whole happiness with trick-or-treaters. Kids dressing up and knocking on doors with smiles on their faces is so strange. It's almost like they're begging or something and I just want to give them the world," I explained as best I could and a hint of the smile flinted across his face.

"You're a motherly type," He proclaimed softly and I smiled at him.

"Sure I am. That explains Kyle being with Mr. Withers and Nil travelling around with my dead beat foster mother. That explains everything," I rolled my eyes sarcastically and he snorted.

"At least you didn't insist on giving Georgia a lecture on how to behave at an upscale restaurant. You know they're following a Supreme Court Judge right? It seems the Hearts like to twist the law," He noted and I shook my head.

"That's the Ten right? I've been trying to find one of them for ages but I've only gotten as far as the couple of Nines over in Japan. Sakura and Montgomery are on them right now," I sighed. I really wasn't much of queen when you thought about it. Even my own Dove got killed. He had been a traitor and a liar though.

"Did you ever turn Monty back into a human?" He asked and I nodded. The Royal had been a panther before and I had to stop myself from laughing every time I remembered it.

"I was surprised that he looked as young as he did. You could have mistaken him for a college student," I pointed out. Montgomery as it turned out had come from Japan and he hadn't been back to his home country in long time.

"Jack was an idiot," I commented and the older man glanced at me. He knew that talk of my former dove was dangerous. I had often finished a conversation with tears and hysterics. I didn't feel like crying much today though. I just needed to talk about him.

"He always had been," He approached the topic warily.

"Yeah. The whole episode with Elizabeth was stupid. He got sick once, you know, and he kept mistaking me for her. I wasn't too keen on her after that," I informed him and he gave a short sympathetic nod. The man had been born to be a listener. A waitress came up right about then and I tagged her mind with mine to see if she was a card. She wasn't and I let her go with an order of a large chocolate milkshake. I loved those things. Sitting back into my chair, I watched the people in dark colored outfits come and go. Cafés had always been a hotspot for the "soulful" type. Not that I knew what that was or anything. I was just an ordinary English teacher...that was the Queen of the Cards. Strange where life takes you huh?