Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

When I woke, it was the morning. I looked at the sun's position in the sky and groaned, knowing I was late to wake Oliver. I started to move, and then realised there was an arm around my waist. Frowning, I looked down, and my heart stuttered.

I was in Oliver's bed.

The memories of the night before hit me so strongly I gasped, feeling my chest tighten. Oliver, home from the mission. Oliver, kissing me. Oliver, lying naked on his bed, flushed pink and wanting and - 

Oh wow.

I looked down again to see him stir and open his eyes. He looked up at me and frowned. "Finn? Are you feeling well?"

I nodded, feeling very embarrassed. "I just... I did not... I just remembered what happened."

A lazy grin spread over his face, and he said, "If you need a moment to remember it, I feel I am not doing my job right."

"Trust me," I breathed heavily. "Those memories will never leave my mind again."

"Good," he replied, and pulled at my waist. "Come back to bed. I was enjoying sleeping with you."

I blushed right on cue. I wanted to fall back into bed with him and hold him tightly, but I had to be sensible. This did not mean I would abandon my duties. I shook my head and said, "Believe me when I say that I am employing all of my strength to say no, but I must say no. I am already late to my morning work, and I do not want people questioning my whereabouts last night."

Oliver frowned, and pulled himself into a sitting position, leaning against the headboard. "Finn," he said carefully. "I meant what I said last night - all of it. I understand if you must take some time to adjust to the idea, but I want every person in this household to know exactly what you are to me."

I could practically feel the heat radiating from my cheeks. "Really?"

"Of course," he said firmly, and reached out to touch my face, fondly smiling. "You blush so easily. It is very handsome."

"Oliver," I protested, but it was a weak protest and I allowed myself to be pulled into a kiss. It was sweet, soft and quick, and I wondered how many more days would elapse until I had experienced all of his kisses. "I am going," I said, summoning my strength.

Oliver sighed. "May I tell Carolina? I feel she may murder me later, and I would like my dying words to be 'at least I told Finn I loved him'."

I giggled to myself, grabbing my uniform and pulling it on. "If you would be so kind, please avoid dying until I have had a chance to have my fill of you."

Oliver's tone was smug. "I believe you had very much your fill of me last night, Finn."

"Sir," I sounded scandalised, but I had very little right to; I had delved into my wicked side to entice him last night, and I knew it. "I will return to the kitchen - you should make peace with your wife."

"Yes, I should," he sighed. "But it is far more enjoyable to watch you dress."

I left his room, trying to avoid any other servants until I could get to the kitchen. I couldn't stop smiling. It was as though I could not take five steps without thinking of how very grateful I was for the night. I had no idea how I would tell everyone. What would I say?

I pushed the kitchen door open and found Danny joking with Tomas about his cooking, with Tomas flicking a cloth at him to keep him away from the food. MJ caught sight of me and laughed. "You look much happier than yesterday. Did you make peace with Oliver, or should I expect more annoying hovering?"