Prologue

Avalon took one last look at herself in the mirrorー an hour's work. Her lashes had been promptly curled and layered in a thin coat of mascara, framing her bright turquoise eyes. Her cheeks were naturally rosy, and apart from the mascara, she wore no other make up (unless colored Chapstick counted). Her chin length, normally ridiculously curly blonde hair had been straightened, and while she'd have normally gone with something casual, instead, she wore a lace, vanilla-colored top with her favorite pair of skinny jeans, and her high top black converse.
She bit her lower lip as she looked herself over for the umpteenth time. This was so different from her usual way of dressing... But she wanted to look a little nicer today. After all, it was her first day of her last year in high school.
Senior year... She could hardly believe she'd made it this far. Of course, standing at only 5'2, she didn't exactly look it.
Avalon was going to be 18 in the fall.
18...
After staring at herself for another long moment, she shook her head, and pulled on a plain grey tee that read, "Don't let my sarcasm offend you" across it in white letters. After reanalyzing the outfit, she smiled to herself. Now it was perfect.
Much more her speed.
Nodding her head in approval, she finally grabbed her bag and headed down the stairs.
Today was the day... Her last first day.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Rune let out a slow breath as he looked up at the tall school building in front of him, the sign reading "Merriweather High School." High school... He'd never been to a place like this before. He was in a whole other world now... And that was being literal.
This was the most populated place his father could manage to find that wasn't too far and/or hard to access. Rune had been relocated for one reason and one reason onlyー to find a queen to share the "soon-to-be his" kingdom with him. Rune couldn't even understand why he'd be sent here to begin with. His father had explained that cross breeding with a human gave the children stronger, smarter, and more beautiful genes, but Rune really couldn't see it. Humans were not all that eye-catching. OR smart, for that matter. To his mind, his own species of dragon was at the top. Nothing else was particularly charming to him. Especially the human female. They were all exactly the same.
How drab.
In all honesty, he wasn't interested in finding a mate at all. He could rule on his own, he was sure of it. But everyone knew that a king who ruled alone was a target.
He had no choice.
He just hoped there would be someone who could really fit the bill... Otherwise, he'd be in a whole lot of trouble.