Chapter 1: Albus Potter

I shivered in the Autumn cold. The crisp air wafted my hair up as I pushed my full trolley across Kings Cross Station.

Suddenly, my brother said "I bet you'll be in Slytherin." He kicked the pavement in front of him, scuffing his school shoes slightly.

"I won't! I won't be in Slytherin!" I shouted to my brother. 

"James! Give it a rest!" My mother, Ginny scolded.

"I only said he might be," James said, grinning. "There's nothing wrong with that. He might be in Slyth-" Mum glared at James, and he shut his trap. James looked at me smartly, then ran straight into the wall between Platforms 9 and 10. I winced, but he went straight through.

"You'll write to me, won't you?" I said, now that my brother had dissapeared.

"Every day, if you want us to," Mum said.

"Not every day," I said quickly, covering up any confusion. "James says most people only get letters home about once a month."

"We wrote to James three times a week last year," said Mum, frowning.

"And you don't want to believe everything he tells you about Hogwarts. He likes a laugh, you're brother," Dad added.

We pushed my trolley forward. As we neared the barrier, I prepared for an impact that never came. We appeared on Platform 9 3/4. It was covered with thick white steam coming out of the scarlet Hogwarts Express, which intimidated me. James was nowhere to be seen.

"Where are they?" I said anxiously. You could barely hear me against the bustle and hussle of the station. 

"We'll find them," Mum said. She looked around. After a few minutes of searching, she said "I think that's them, Al."

I could make out four people in the mist. We only saw them when we were right in front of them.

"Hi," I said.

My cousin Rose, already dressed in Hogwarts robes, smiled wide, her whole face aglow.

As our parents walked away and began to talk, I turned to Rose, shivering. Hugo, Rose's brother and Lily, my sister chatted brightly about the Sorting, even though they weren't going to Hogwarts this year. 

"Are you scared?" I asked.

Rose put a finger to her chin."Well, not really. Mum says she had some of the best years of her life at Hogwarts. But Dad says that because he hung out with Uncle Harry, it was the worst years of his life, even though he met Mum. But I don't think there's anyone at Hogwarts like Uncle Harry, so I think we would manage. But then again-" I zoned out, not listening to Rose any longer. I was used to her constant ranting.

Our parents walked back up.

"If you're not in Gryffindor, we'll disinherit you, but no pressure," Uncle Ron joked.

"RON!" Aunt Hermionie scolded. Lily and Hugo laughed, but me and Rose stood with solemn faces. I was honestly scared that I would turn out a Slytherin and my family would hate me.

"He dosen't mean it," said Mum, but I raised an eyebrow. Mum laughed.

"Look who it is."

A man with white blonde hair, a very pretty lady with a wide smile, and a boy about my age who mirrored his father looked out over the platform. We all stared. The man turned to us, gave a quick nod, and turned away.

Rose and her family began to talk amidst themselves as James, with no trunk or owl ran up, shouting something about Teddy snogging Victoire. I didn't listen. I just stared at the boy with the white hair until he got on the train. He didn't look at me. Was I not supposed to like him?

Suddenly, James gave me a playful kick.

"See you later, Al. Watch out for the thestrals," He said mysteriously.

"I thought they were invisible! You said they were invisible!" I screeched. James laughed as he disappeared into the crowd.

"Thestrals are nothing to worry about. They're gentle things, there's nothing scary about them. Anyway, you won't be going up to school in he carriages, you'll be going in the boats." Dad said in my ear. I didn't believe him.

Mum kissed me goodbye."See you at Christmas."

"Bye, Al," Said Dad. He began reminding me of various things, but i wasn't listening.

"What if I'm in Slytherin?" I whispered to Dad. Mum looked away, pretending she didn't hear me.

Dad crouched down and looked me in the eyes.

"Albus Severus," Dad said quietly "you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."

"But just say-"

"-then Slytherin house will have gained an excellent student, won't it? It doesn't matter to us. But if it matters to you, you'll be able to choose Gryffindor over Slytherin. The Sorting Hat takes you're choice into account."

"Really?"

"It did for me."

I was lost in thought, but the train doors slamming roused me. I hopped into a carriage next to Rose, and Mum closed the door behind me. 

"Why are they all staring?" I demanded, craning my head out a window to look at the other students in the train. The crowd had turned they're heads this way.

"Don't let it worry you. It's me. I'm extremely famous," Uncle Ron said. We all laughed. The train moved away. I waved until I couldn't see my parents anymore. My dad waved back.

I was on my way to Hogwarts.