Indwelling Catheter Procedure

Inserting an Indwelling Catheter to a Female

·         Check physician’s order.

·         Check client’s identaband and if able have client state name.

·         Explain procedure to client.

·         Provide privacy.

·         Gather equipment.

·         Assist client to position, knees up and out.

§  *Be careful to not contaminate sterile field

·         Cleanse client’s perineum of antiseptic solution.

·         Remove drapes.

·         Reposition client for comfort; put bed in low position.

·         Remove and discard disposable supplies in appropriate container.

·         Wash hand.

·         Document procedure, measure and record urine output on I&O bedside record.

Inserting an Indwelling Catheter to a Male

·         Check physician’s order.

·         Check client’s identaband and if able have client state name.

·         Explain procedure to client.

·         Provide privacy.

·         Gather equipment.

·         Prepare client by placing client in supine position with knees slightly apart.

·         Fan fold top linen down to lower extremities exposing only perineal area.

·         Prepare equipment in the same manner as demonstrated for female catheterization.

·         Tape catheter to abdomen with 1 inch tape.

·         Attach drainage bag to bed frame, not side rails.

·         Cleanse client’s perineum of antiseptic solution.

·         Remove drapes.

·         Reposition client for comfort; put bed in low position with side rails up.

·         Remove all equipment, including gloves & discard trash in the appropriate container.

·         Wash hand.

·         Document procedure.

·         Measure and record urine output on I&O bedside record.

Necessary Equipment for Catheterization 

·         Catheters are graded on the French scale according to the size of the lumen. For the female adult, No. 14 and No. 16 French catheters are usually used. Small catheters are generally not necessary and the size of the lumen is also so small that it increases the length of time necessary for emptying the bladder. Larger catheter distends the urethra and tends to increase the discomfort of the procedure. For male adult, No.18 and No. 20 French catheters usually used, but if this appears to be too large, smaller catheter should be used. No. 8 and No. 10 French catheters are commonly used for children.