chapter one

RILEY

"Maya, we are going to be late for school!" I shout to my best friend, Maya, as she refuses to get out of bed. "I knew you sleeping over on a school night would be a bad idea, how do you manage to pick me up at seven every morning?" I laugh, shaking my head, but annoyed at the same time.

I march to my door and turn around, stomping one foot on the ground.

"Maya, if you are not ready by seven I am leaving on my own!" I say, instantly regretting it because I know I won't leave her.

"Whatever you want." She says, shoving her face into the pillow. I sigh and walk downstairs.

"Good morning, honey." My mother, Topanga smiles. "Breakfast is ready, where's Maya?"

"She's still sleeping." I say, taking a seat at the table.

"Hello, Riley." My little brother, Augie says, shoving his face with pancakes.

"Good morning, Augie." I giggle. I finish my pancakes and check the time.

6:50 a.m.

I groan and walk upstairs.

"Maya Penelope Hart, wake up right now, ring power!" I shout, holding up the hand with the ring on it.

"Okay, okay, I'm getting up. Calm down, Riles." She says, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"We have-" I stop and look at my watch. "Eight minutes!"

"That's specific." She rolls her eyes. She walks over to my closet and comes back out thirty seconds later, all dressed, then quickly brushes through her hair. "I'm ready, still with?" She looks at me.

"Five minutes to spare." I sigh. "You're fantastic." I smile.

...

"Hey Charlie," I say to my boyfriend, with a smile.

     "What do you want?" He says, rudely. My smile drops and I look away.

     "I just wanted to know if you wanted to go to Topanga's after school?" I ask, playing with my fingers.

     "Busy." He continues to look at his phone. I nod slowly and sigh.

     "Okay," I drop my hands to my side. "I'll see you later, then?" I ask. He shrugs, and laughs at something on his phone. "Okay, bye."

     I walk over to my locker and grab my books for history class. I close my locker door, and lean against it, sliding down.

     "Riles? What's wrong?" Maya asks, walking up to me, fast.

     "Nothing," I say, forcing a smile. "Nothing, I'm perfectly fine."

     "Ha, you're hilarious." She says, not buying it.

     "I am, aren't I?" I smile.

"Tell me what's going on, Riley."

"Nothing, Maya." I stand on my feet.

"Do you think I'm just going to let this go?" Maya asks, as we walk into history class.

"No, of course not." I take a seat. "But I think you should."

"Riley, you know I know when something's wrong. I always know when something's wrong and something is wrong and I am not gonna just ignore it and let you handle it. You're lying to me, Riley, and you need to stop and tell me what's going on before I figure it out myself." She stops, and looks forward. "Friends don't keep things from each other, Riley."

"I'm sorry Maya, but you're wrong this time. I'm not keeping anything from you and nothing's wrong."

"The lies just keep on coming, don't they?" Maya sighs. "I'll figure it out." Maya turns around faces Lucas. "What's going on with Riley, Ranger Rick?"

     Lucas just shrugs. Maya rolls her eyes and turns to Farkle. "Farkle, what's going on with Riley?" She asks.

     Farkle looks at me, and stares at me in silence, like he knows everything that's going on.

"Okay, no one answer me then." Maya groans and turns around, crossing her arms.

"They're not answering because there's nothing wrong," I say, then look back at Farkle, who is looking down at his desk.

hi, i'm really excited to start me first story on this account !!! i'm riarkle asf