The Fall

"So where and when do you want to travel to?" the Doctor asked, already running around in the TARDIS to start the blue box.

Caroline had just entered the TARDIS from her present-day hotel room and was now standing with a bag of her things in her hand.

She usually traveled light as she only took the most important things with her. Any clothes she bought or compelled herself to she often left in the hotel room. It was kind of her way of paying for the room as she rarely actually paid for.

"What about-" Caroline started, but she was suddenly interrupted by a phone ringing. She quickly grabbed the one she had in her bag, but was surprised to see that the screen was black. It was not until then that both the Doctor and Caroline realized that it was a phone in the TARDIS that was chiming.

"You have a phone?" she asked with disbelieve colouring her voice, having a hard time imagining a thousand year old alien running around with an iPhone. The Doctor didn't answer her and instead ran to the phone that was stuck to the console.

"Hello?" the Doctor said curiously and shot Caroline a smile.

She had moved to stand beside him, but she would have been able to hear the person on the other side even if she had been in the other end of this unbelievable ship.

The voice on the other end was dark and the man sounded tired as he spoke.

"Doctor. I need your help."

The Doctor was clearly just as aware as Caroline of the man's tone of voice and his eyebrows furrowed in worry. He  watched Caroline for a long moment, probably realizing that she could hear what the other man was saying. Caroline motioned if she should step away, but the Doctor shook his head.

"What is wrong?" the Doctor asked with concerned look in his eyes.

"I think I need to kill myself."

Caroline's eyes became wide and her lips parted in equal surprise and horror. Was the man really talking about committing suicide? If he was, this was an odd way to do it.

"What? Why?" the Doctor asked with an urgent voice.

"He owes me a fall." was all the man said and the Doctor and Caroline looked at each other, confused by his words.

"Who?"

"Moriarty, Jim Moriarty." the man said with a calm voice, but Caroline was sure it held the slightest touch of fear.

"On my way." the Doctor quickly told him and Caroline grabbed the railing. She was surprised by the sudden drama, but the Doctor didn't seem fazed by it. At most he seemed worried for the man, who had just called.

Moments later they were traveling through the time vortex, following the trail the phone call had left and the Doctor was quickly at the door as soon as the TARDIS became still. Caroline ran after him and was surprised, when she stepped into a white room that looked like a lab.

In front of them stood a tall man with curly black hair and a piercing gaze.

Caroline couldn't help but marvel a little at the sight of him. He had handsome features with high cheekbones and pale skin. He looked very serious as he stood with a straight back and his chin slightly lifted, studying them both with a calculating look in his green-blue eyes.

"Doctor." he greeted with a British accent and offered his hand for the Doctor to shake. Then his eyes darted to Caroline and they once again glided over her; making Caroline feel like he was looking straight through her.

"And you are?" he asked her as he shook Caroline's hand.

"Caroline." she said and gave him a smile. He returned it, but it looked forced and the next second it was gone.