Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

I get in the shower and when I get out I start getting dressed. My door opens. My heart tells me it's Owen but my mind is telling me not to get my hopes up. Owen uses the window…

“Lani!” my little cousin Casey says. Before I can answer there is a knock on my window and I smile. Owen.

"Aunt Natalie, there's a boy trying to break in!" Casey screams from the doorway. I try to shush her but she doesn't listen, just carries on screaming.

“Casey, its my friend.” I walk over to the window and unlock.

"Why isn't he using the front door then like a normal person?"

Casey sits on my bed and folds her arms over her chest. "Because he isn't normal." I tell her before helping Owen through the window.

“Go downstairs, I have to get ready for school.” She does what I tell her. I close my door as she leaves and lock it so she doesn’t come in while I finish getting ready.

The whole time I can feel Owen's eyes on my back. I try to ignore him and the feeling growing in my stomach. What does he want to say? What is he going to do? I go to unlock and open my door. Two arms go either side of me and shut the door before I can open it. His breath hits the back of my neck, making me freeze in place.

“Owen.” I say quietly.

"Lani-bear," he breaths out. He rests his head against the back of mine. A small smile makes it way onto my face. He turns me around. The smile doesn't drop from my face. I felt like my best friend was here, not a strange boy that I slept with...

He smiles. We both stand like that, smiling like idiots at each other, for what feels like forever. I feel something behind me and I'm pushed into Owen. Our lips touch. I feel him press against me before pulling away. Glaring behind me, I see Casey trying to poke her head through the door. Casey leaves and Owen is pressed against me again. I raise my head to ask him what I was doing but I was cut off. He kisses me. My eyes widen before they close.

"Darling, hurry up!" I can hear my mum's footsteps coming closer along the landing. Owen grabs my hand and pulls me out of my room. A little dazed from what happened, I trip over my shoes that are left lying around. Once out of my house and on the sidewalk, he still doesn’t let go of my hand.

"What are you doing?" I ask him once we are five minutes away from school.

“What do you mean?"

“Owen.” He looks at me with a cute confused look. I scold myself for thinking he is cute before lifting up our intertwined fingers.

“We’re best friends, we cant hold hands?”

"Not when you have a girlfriend," I mutter. "People will talk," I say louder so he can hear me. We are only a few minutes away now so I pull him to a stop and make him walk into a small café.

“Lani, what's wrong?”

"What do you mean, what's wrong?" I stare up at him. "Owen, we can't hold hands. We're teenagers. When we were younger, it was okay but now... you have a girlfriend and she's already spread rumors about us."

He sighs. “Okay.” he lets go of my hand.[6:19pm] I frown. I didn't like the feeling in my stomach when he let go. Quickly, I pull him into a hug and sigh.

“I’m sorry Lani-bear.” he whispers in my ear.

"For what?" I ask.

“Everything.” He looks at me as if he's going to cry.

"Owen.." I tug him so both our heads are side by side. "We'll be okay. We make it through everything... together. Okay?" I whisper in his ear and kiss his cheek. He nods and wraps his arms around me. We stay like this for a few minutes before a waitress clears her throat and looks at us pointedly.