Chapter One

Chapter One:

Three weeks earlier....

I hear my alarm clock go off but I ignore it by putting my pillow over my head. I know I have to get up for the second week of school but I don’t want to. I know that if I don’t Owen will wake me up and that wont be in any way pleasant.

As if on cue, Owen appears at my balcony window. We stare at each other for a minute before grinning. He climbs onto my balcony every morning since I could remember. My parents didn't understand why he didn't use the front door, but from what I could hear, they were still asleep - he was considerate towards their sleep because of how late they work.

“You know, one of these days you are going to fall and get hurt.”
He shrugs and gestures for me to open the window wider. I crawl out of bed, making sure my PJ's were decent, and open the window enough for him to climb in. "Morning," he grins. "Nice hair."

"You say that every morning," I comment, yanking a brush through my hair.

“Well maybe you should get up earlier then.”

"Why? You're the only person who sees me, anyway." I shrug and walk over to my wardrobe.

“If you got up earlier then we wouldn't always get to school five minutes before we have to be in class Lani.”

"Stop complaining. Why do you care what time we get there, anyway? It's not as if we have anything to do before hand."

“It'd just be nice to get there early is all.”

"Why?" I stop looking through my clothes and face him. "Why do you want to get there early, Owen?"

“To talk to people.”

"I'm people, you're talking to me. Besides," I tugged a shirt over my head, "you don't want to talk anyone but me."

“Maybe I do though Lani.”

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow. "You know, talking to people in your head is a sign of madness, Owen."

“Yes. Not people in my head. People at school.”

"Oh." I purse my lips. "Okay." I quickly get the rest of my clothes on then make my way over to my mirror. He watches me as I look back at him in the reflection, I look away from his eyes and get on with putting my make up on.

After finishing my make-up I grab my bag and cell phone. “Okay Mr. Eager I'm ready.”

He doesn't say anything, just stands up and follows me out the door. I keep peeking small looks at him, wondering why he is eager to get to school. I try to think of something to make conversation. "What did you do last night?" I ask at last.

“I...I went out with someone.”

"Really?" I look up at him.

"Is it really that shocking that I have a life outside of you?" He snaps. I blink, why did he snap?

“Sorry.” I say and I don't say anything else.

He sighs but doesn't say anything. We walk in silence out the front door, I took a deep breath and looked up at him. "Who did you go out with?"

“Erica Jennings.”

I stop walking. Erica Jennings. He went out with Erica Jennings? Of all people, he went out with her? "Why?" I whisper out.

“Why not?”

"You know what she's like," I stare up at him. "You know how she's been in the past."

“She's different now.”

I snort but quickly cover my mouth. "Okay. I'll believe that when I see it." “She has.” I don't say anything.

We walk silently the rest of the way to school. As soon as we enter the building, I can feel the shift in everyone’s movement. They are all trying to subtly check out Owen - the obvious new boyfriend of Erica. The next thing I know I'm pushed into the wall and Erica has her arms around Owen. I stare at them in astonishment. For some reason - some stupid unknown reason - I actually think it was Owen that pushed me out the way, but he wouldn't...I get up off the ground and dust off my clothes. I pull my bag back over my shoulder.

I wait a full three minutes but Owen clearly has other things on his mind since he doesn't even look my way. Letting out a sigh, I begin walking towards my first class - for the first time ever, without Owen by my side. I sit in my assigned seat and wait for Owen to come sit by me-in his assigned seat.

Five minutes later he enters, I sit up a little straighter in my seat and wait for him to come and take his place. Only he doesn't. He sits down next to Erica, on the other side of the room. My heart tugs as I see him laughing with her. He may think she's changed but I don't. The looks she is giving other girls while they speak to him, they could kill. I sigh and got on with my work. He would come back to me by the end of the day, right?

The class seems to go by forever without Owen sitting next to me and talking and making jokes. I feel like banging my head against the table when I hear Erica laugh for the fifth time. Okay, Owen is funny but he isn't that funny...

The bell rings and class ends as I'm walking out some bangs into my and I go to the ground, all of my things scattering on the floor. A small groan escapes my lips as I sit up, my wrist had banged off the ground at a odd angle. I looked up to see Erica with her back to me, too busy flirting with Owen to see me. I fake coughed and both of them looked down at me. Was he going to help me up?

He goes to help me up but Erica tugs on his arm. “Owen, lets go before we’re late.” I stare at him in shock. He is going to walk away without helping me?

Owen breaks away from Eric and helps me up. “You okay?”

"Yeah, fine," I mutter. I quickly dust myself off and bend over to grab my stuff. A hand shoots out and stops me from picking anything up.

“What?” I ask looking up.

"Nothing." He quickly picks up all my stuff, puts it in my arms and waves. I watch him walk out the room with a frown on my face.

“What the hell was that?" I ask myself.

Pursing my lips, I leave the classroom and walk towards my next class. As I walk into my next class I'm tripped, I got down and land on the wrist that I hurt when I just last fell. Everyone starts laughing. My cheeks didn't burn like they normally do. They probably have a slight redness to them due to the pain I can feel in my wrist but other than that, embarrassing myself happens often. I have learn to shrug it off. I look up and see Erica. She smiles down at me, forced, of course. I stare up at her. No one says anything as they watch us.

“Have fun with my boyfriend this morning?”

“What?" I stand up and brush dirt off the back of my legs - I feel like this school was too dirty…

“Walking to school with him.”

"What's your point?" I look at her like she is stupid. "We've done that ever since we started school."

“I wanted him to ride with me, but no he just had to go to your house.” she snaps. “What is it that you two really do? Because you sure seem like you're more than just 'friends' as he says. Actually I think everyone would like to know.”

“Well?” Erica snaps.

I snort out a laugh. "Don't be stupid. Nothing is going on between us. We're best friends. Nothing more."

“Oh yeah, tell that to everyone else. We all know you're sleeping with him. Well not anymore.”

“W-what?” I stutter out.

"You heard me," she gives me a wicked smile before walking away. Leaving me and the rest of the student body shocked.