Task Five: ...and the Place where Vanished Objects Go

"You must be joking."

The tent was silent; outside, a heavy rain was in the process of a gradual stop. Faraji didn't dare to meet Gloria's eyes.

"I wish I were. Really. I wish my sense of humor was tasteless enough to make that kind of joke. It's better than the alternative."

Gloria swore viciously. "Cermák and Lindström, you said? And there hasn't been a trace of where they could have gone?"

"Not a trace," Cerise replied sadly. "They were both Seekers. About halfway through the match, the Snitch flew off into the jungle. They had the fastest brooms on their teams, so they chased it out of sight before Faraji or I could stop them. I went after them, but they were just...gone."

"Did you at least manage to find the missing students from earlier?" Faraji asked hesitantly. "Our wayward athletes might be trapped with the others."

David grimaced. "I managed to magically trace them to a ruin about one and a half klicks northeast. In the middle of the rubble the trail just stopped. Gloria said some of the surrounding structures showed signs of Mayan spellcraft. We were going to round up a few search parties to canvass the area; cherie, you might be able to analyze some carvings we found at the site. Maybe they'll give us some idea what's going on."

Immediately, Faraji shook his head.

"We can't leave the students unprotected. There's something wrong with this jungle, David. There's something out there targeting us, and I can't in good conscience leave children to its tender mercies."

David seemed unable to contradict him. For a long moment, there was no sound but that of the rain.

It was Gloria who eventually broke the silence. "We won't leave them. We'll bring them. There are only twelve students accounted for at the moment. Each of us will take a group of three and explore the ruins. We can't let whatever's out there stop us from finding our absent protégées. An adult wizard or witch, along with three nearly developed students, is much more of a threat than a single unsuspecting target."

"Are you sure this is the best idea?" Cerise asked. "We have no idea what's going on in those ruins. Is it worth the risk?"

"Is there a better option?" 

No one answered. Gloria nodded. 

"It's decided, then." The slightest hint of dark humor colored her voice. "After all, we did promise the kids an expedition."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-In groups of three, supervised by an expedition leader of your choice, your tribute must explore the ruins. 

-The ruins may seem ordinary enough; however, I'm sure by now you can tell things are rarely as innocuous as they seem.

Kills: Two ballot deaths this round. Five tributes will be going up for votes this round. Three will be leaving the competition.

Due Date: Wednesday, June 22 at 8 PM EST