Task Two: ...and the German Inquisition

"I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say that each and every one of you is a liar."

David Goethe's eyes flashed around the room, taking in the variety of responses: surprise, confusion, more than a few eyes narrowed in anger. Beside him, Cerise pursed her lips.

"You're upsetting them," she scolded in whispered French. "Couldn't you begin with something a bit nicer?"

"I could," he replied in the same language. "But that wouldn't have quite the same effect. They need to understand what I'm doing, and that I mean business."

Whispers in varied tongues were spreading throughout the tent. David frowned. Cerise sighed.

"It's regrettable, but true. We all lie to each other: a forced smile, a false tone of courtesy. Whenever we pretend to be that which we are not, we lie. In fact, we lie so often and so well that we begin to believe it ourselves. We rejoice when the mask becomes flesh, and our facade becomes our face."

"But it doesn't become any more real just because we believe it." The entire tent flinched at Cerise's tone, uncharacteristically hard. "When danger and fear threaten us, our masks begin to slip. No matter how much we might want it, even magic can't turn a rat into a lion. One by one, the masks will slip away until only the original face remains. We call the people who understand their own masks 'wise.' Those who can comprehend other masks are 'understanding.'"

David drew his wand. There was a sharp intake of breath. He surveyed the students coolly, green eyes glinting in the gloom.

"On this mission, I have strong reason to suspect there will be danger. I cannot know if this danger will exceed my abilities to protect you. If that happens, you need to know yourself: what drives you, what you fear, what you are willing to surrender. We are all liars. But you can't hide from my magic. And after my spell, you won't be able to lie to yourself. For the first time, you will see your own face; only after this will you be able to judge yourself and your capabilities."

Cerise bit her lip, then looked up. "If you don't want to go through with the spell, speak now. Faraji will take you home. The same goes for after the spell. Sometimes, we just want to keep our own privacy and illusions. I can understand."

No one moved. David grinned.

"I told you, cherie," he murmured in French. "Perhaps they are suited for this after all."

"Maybe. Be gentle, will you?"

"Always." David looked up and spoke in English. "In that case, enjoy the gift of wisdom."

The wand moved. Several students flinched.

"Legilimens!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-Your tribute has arrived in the Yucatán. It is the first night of the expedition.

-David's spell is, functionally, a psychic attack- it will create a hallucination that show your tribute as they truly are; however, no one but your tribute can see it. This can be a memory or memories, but does not necessarily need to be so.

-After the spell, your tribute will be offered the chance to leave the expedition.

Deaths: Four ballot kills, to be submitted with the entry. Eight tributes will be going up for votes this round, with six leaving us.

Due Date: Saturday, May 28 at 8 PM EST