26~ The Guard

It didn't take me long to find Mount Weather. Determination fogging over every muscle in my body. The fact that my friends and my boyfriend may possibly be on the verge of death, driving me to keep running. 

And then I see it. A big huge mountain. One you would have just mistaken to be normal if you didn't look closer and see the dams and tunnels running all along the sides of it. I slow my pace, listening to each crunch of leaves with each of my steps. Ahead I see the lake Clarke and I jumped into while trying to escape Mount Weather. It's kind of ironic isn't it? We were fighting for our lives to get out and now I'm trying every possible way to get back in.

I walk up to the edge of the water. The ground closer to the water is muddy. My combat boots sink slightly into the soil. I look up and see the mouth of the tunnels. That's where I need to be but it's not like I can climb straight up. I look around for a minute, trying desperately to see where to go and what to do next. I walk over to the rock that I had climbed up on not too long ago. Just as my feet are about to hit the hard surface I trip. I'm not sure whether it was on my own feet or if it was something else but I fall straight to the ground. I reach out with my hands and catch myself before I could further injure myself. I look down at my feet and see something I would not have seen if I hadn't tripped over it. 

A rope. A rope made out of other tiny ropes coiled together. I jump up and start following it. The rope winds across the grass and leaves all the way to the bottom of the mountain where it takes an immediate path upwards, stopping about twenty feet up the mountain. 

I squint my eyes and see where the rope stops. A slight indention in the rock catches my eye. It outlines a circle, or half circle. 

"It's a door." I whisper to myself. I rack my brain for ways to get up there. Maybe I can move a tall rock over here. No, that won't work. I'm just gonna have to climb up. 

I brace myself. I grasp the itchy rope with my palms and prop one of my feet up against the mountain. I pull up, lifting myself up off the ground. I place my other foot above the first one I placed on the mountain. "Ahhh." I groan, quietly as I repeat the action, slowly pulling myself up the side of this mountain. "Don't look down, Tatum. Don't look down." I whisper, moving my hand up the rope and pulling up. I feel my hands getting cut from the sharp edges of the rope. I glance up and see I only have a few more feet to go. "Come on, Tatum. You can do this." I whisper, pulling myself up the last few feet.

I grab the edge of the indention and pull myself up onto the rock. I brush my bleeding hands against my pants and take a minute to catch my breath. I stare at the door. The door made out of rock, with no handle. 

Perfect. 

I walk up to it, running my hands across the surface. My fingers trace the outlining of it, trying to find something to hold onto. I put a slight bit more pressure on the door and, with a loud creek, the rock pushes inward. I furrow my eyebrows more as I push the door inside. I open it all the way and find myself right in the middle of the bottom floor of Mount Weather. I'm standing in the middle of the hallway, which is a big no no. 

Loud footsteps fill my ears and panic fills my body. I see a door not too far away from me and I sprint to it, twisting the doorknob and shutting it quietly behind me. I put my hand over my mouth and silence my breathing as I see two guards walk past the door. 

"What do you think you're doing?" A loud voice sounds from behind me. I jump slightly and turn. A guard, fully uniformed is standing inside the closet looking very shocked at me. "You're from the outside." He says, realizing who I am. 

I panic. I grab the knife tucked in my waistband. "Sorry about this, bud." I mumble, shoving it in his chest. His legs give way and he drops to the floor, quietly groaning. 

Once I was sure he was dead. I start stripping him. Pulling off his vest, under shirt, pants, shoes and everything. I kick off my combat boots and strip off my jacket. I pull my jeans down and pull the khaki pants. They're a little baggy, but they'll work. I pull on the dark brown belt that has a walky talky and a hand gun strapped onto it. I button up the white undershirt and place the bullet-proof khaki vest on over it. I put my shoes on instead of his, seeing as his are about five sizes too big for me and that won't work.  And then, finally, I grab the grey hat he's wearing. I tip my head over and wrap my hair in a tight bun. I then place the hat over my hair and make sure none of it will fall out. I look down at myself, pretty satisfied. I grab the edges of the name tag on his vest and rip it off, throwing it on top of his naked body. I turn and, calmly, walk out of the closet. I grab the key card that is in the pocket of the pants and lock the door shut. 

I then proceed to walk down the hallway, looking for an elevator. A guard comes walking from one of the exterior hallways. My heart begins pounding in my chest as I continue my walk, not looking at him. 

"Good day." The guard mumbles. 

I look over at him and nod, turning down a hallway to get rid of him. As his footsteps become quieter and quieter until I can't hear them anymore, I let out a relieved breath. 

I find the elevator, pressing my key card into the lock and climbing on. I push level 5, remembering from when we captured Maya that that's the level the dining room is on. Opera music plays through the speakers on the elevator and I find my breathing becoming heavier and heavier as the elevator passes through the levels, getting closer to five. 

*ding*

3

*ding*

4

*ding*

5