Chapter 2

"Who are you, and what have you done with Liberty?"

I wake up to a sharp voice. I open my eyes to see a small, glowing figure in front of me. "Aah!" I sit up surprised. "What the heck are you?" The creature was about four inches tall and extremely skinny. She (well most likely a she) had silvery hair, ice blue wings, and a dark blue dress. She glowed silver, much like the light I had seen last night. I look outside and see that it still is night.

The little person frowned. "I thought it would be quite obvious. I'm a fairy. But who are you? Where is Liberty?"

"Fairy? Fairies don't exist."

"You can drop the act now. I know you aren't Liberty. If you were Liberty, you wouldn't be able to see me. Liberty's eyes are too clouded by unbelief. Who are you?"

"I am Liberty! Am I going crazy? Fairies aren't real!"

"You are not Liberty. Quit pretending. Your disguise is even wearing off! Look at your hand!"

"My hand...?" I look down to see gold had covered the fingers that had touched the stone. "But I don't know..."

The little fairy sighed. I must be going crazy. "You're telling the truth. What happened to you?"

"What do you mean? Nothing happened!"

"Then why are you emitting magic more powerful than some sorceresses I know? If you're not one of Minera's servants bent on killing Ava, what are you?"

"Human maybe? I can't do magic! It doesn't exist!"

"Keep telling yourself that. I must figure out what's wrong with you. I'm Ithica by the way."

"Ithica? But that's the name of my neighbor." All this was confusing me.

"That was me. In disguise! Easier to gain trust as an old lady."

Oh dear.  The most logical response to that would probably be 'you can't be!' But what really came out of my mouth was, "Are those cookies poisoned?"

Ithica put her head in her hands. "No child. I must go. I will come again soon." She snaps her fingers and in a puff of smoke, she's gone. I let myself fall back down onto my back.

Is this all a dream? Or am I going crazy? Maybe the cookies were poisoned. A dream is the most probable answer, but you never know. Gosh, what is wrong with me?

Everything, my brain responds.

Shut up brain.

I lay there, trying to clear my mind when I finally fall back to sleep. If I wasn't already asleep in the first place. My dreams were weird. It was in some weird world with fairies, elves, and little pixies bent on world domination.

I woke again before daytime, but to excruciating pain. Upper back felt like it was trying to stretch. I felt like screaming, but no sound came out of my mouth. I turned onto back hoping it would help. I could hardly stand the pain. It felt like... Fire.

The next time I screamed, sound did come out. I could hear a quick thumping signaling that someone had woken and was coming up. I wince as Mom entered the room looking tired and worried.

"What's wrong?" She asked as I began to cry.

"My back," I whimper. "Something is making it hurt!"

Mom sat by me and pulled my shirt up to look. I winced as the shirt dragged across my back. "Your shoulder blade look like they're swollen," she says, "They are a bit yellow too. Did you fall on your back?"

"No," I respond rather pathetically. "I don't know– aagh!"

"Do you think you can wait till morning when I can call the doctor?"

"No. I don't know. It hurts!"

"I'll get you some Advil and take you to the hospital. I don't know what else to do."

"Okay." My mom leaves the room and I lay crying.

"I'm an idiot," I hear a shocked voice in front of me. I look up to see the fairy, Ithica, flying around me. "All his time we thought it was your sister, when it really was you! Ava doesn't even give off a little magic now. Whoever was trying to hide you was very determined."

"What are you talking about?" I manage.

"You wouldn't understand of course. You need to come with me! You must be causing an uproar in The Elsewhere! It's not often we find a human with this much power. Not even changelings!"

"Elsewhere? What? I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"The Elsewhere. And I'll explain as soon as we get there! I need to send a message to the others." She looked down at me. "Go back to whatever you were doing before." I watched her summon a silvery ball of light. Very loudly, she spoke into it. "Sisters, it is time to gather! The girls are ready for training!"

"Shh!" I say frantically, "My mom will hear you and come up!"

"I thought I was a figment of your imagination?" Ithica says smirking.

"Yeah, well... Um. Shut up!"

"You're mom will find herself in her bed asleep. When she wakes up she won't even remember she had a daughter named Liberty."

"What? Why?"

"You're coming with me anyways. We don't need the fuss of people looking for you."

"But they're my family! I don't even want to go with you! Wherever that is."

"The Elsewhere. I already told you. If you don't let me take you, I'll have to use force."

"I can't travel anywhere! My back hurts too much."

Ithica flew around me studying my back. "Hmm. It looks like your wings are growing. It shouldn't hurt though. Maybe whatever was hiding your magic is effecting you like a curse."

"Wait. Wings? How could I be growing wings?"

"I'll explain when we get to The Elsewhere."

"I've already told you I'm not going with you." I put my face in my pillow and close my eyes. Suddenly, my blankets begin to feel heavy. "What's happening?" I shriek as I float towards the ceiling.

"I told you. You'll come willingly or by force. Are you coming?"

"No!" I say, but I regret it instantly. The blankets wrap around me making moving impossible.

"You asked for it Liberty. Now sleep." She waved her tiny hand in front of me, and my eyes suddenly became heavy. I tried to fight it, but that just made me more tired. My eyes closed and suddenly, I was asleep.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Chapter #2 is done! Yes!

Remember to vote! And comment any problems! I really approximate it! Thanks!