Chapter 1

"Liberty!" I hear someone call. I look up from my book, annoyed. It was my little sister Ava. Her light brown hair had leaves and twigs sprinkled throughout. "I think I found a fairy." She whispered and opened her clasped hand to reveal a firefly, wings slightly crushed by her hands.

"That's a bug." I tell her laughing a bit. "Fairies aren't real."

"But it's glowing. Bugs don't glow. It's a fairy!"

"It's a lightning bug. It glows to find a mate."

"Oh," Ava says disappointed. Then a bit brighter she says, "Maybe a fairy made it glow."

As she runs off, I sigh. She needs to learn that the world isn't all magical like she seems to think it is. I start to read my book again, and something hit the back of my head. I turned to see if I could see what had hit me, but nothing was there. I looked down, and I see a gold stone. "That's odd," I mutter to myself. I go to pick up the rock, but it shocks me. "Ouch!"

I look at my fingers. Something gold was coating them, but when I tried to rub it off, nothing happened. As I study my hand, thunder booms. "Ava!" I call, turning towards my sister. But she's gone. I hear a faint giggle from the woods. "Ava!" I say exasperated. She knows she's not allowed in there!

"Liberty!" I turn quickly to see that Ava was at the house. I look back to the woods, and then to the house. Who was in the woods? Still confused, I headed inside. Our house was good sized. Four bedrooms, a finished basement, an awesome kitchen, a dining room, and fairly large living room. "What were you doing?" Ava asked.

"Hmm?" I say looking down, "Oh I just heard something in the woods."

"Was it a fairy?" She asked wide eyed. I can't help but smile at her innocence.

"No. Magic isn't real."

"Girls?" I hear my Mom call. "Is that you?"

"Who else would it be?" I respond as she comes into the mud room.

"How was the your time outside?" She asks looking tired.

"Fine. How are you doing?"

"Alright. Aaron is just driving me crazy. You mind watching him while I finish dinner?"

I sigh but nod. Aaron is my three year old brother whose terrible twos seemed to carry over. I go to the living room to find him running around block towers with underwear on his head. "What are you doing?" I ask him playfully as he knocks down a tower. He turns toward me frowning.

"Nothing!" He says standing in front of his mess, attempting to hide it, "You're ruining my dreams!" I laugh. His 'dreams' are his imagination, it's actually quite adorable.

"Doesn't look like nothing!" I say picking him up. He giggles as I spin him around.

"Gimme a ride Liby!" He says excitedly.

"What do you say?"

"Peeeeeas!" I chuckle and scoop him onto my back carrying him around the house.

"Time for dinner!" Mom calls from the kitchen. I set Aaron down and he runs enthusiastically to the dining room. I begin to pick up the blocks littering the floor. Out of the corner of my eye I see something glowing. I look out the window and see that something small was darting around in the rain, glowing silver. I walk up to the window mesmerized by the light. "Liberty! Come on!" I rush to the dining room the light momentarily forgotten.

Mom, Ava, and Aaron were already at the table. "Is Dad working late again?" I ask, disappointed he's not here.

Mom smiles sadly at me. "Yeah. He should be home before you go to bed though." I sigh and sit down. My dad works at Google. He almost never works late, but recently a big job has come up or something, so this is the third time he's not home for dinner. I look down at what we're having and smile. Homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and biscuits. It's basically KFC homemade. My mom is an amazing cook. "So what did you do outside?" She asks me.

"Mostly read." I reply, "I heard something in the woods though. It was giggling or something."

"That's strange. Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I don't know, I could just be hearing things."

"Could it be a fairy?" Ava asks hopefully, and I roll my eyes.

"How many times do I have to tell you they aren't real?" I say exasperated. She's eight. That's old enough to stop believing. Pretending every once in a while is fine, but Ava is a bit ridiculous.

"Liberty!" Mom says giving me a look that clearly says 'let her believe', "I'll bet it was Ava."

"I saw a magic bug today!" Ava says encouraged by Mom agreeing with her.

"Oh really? How was it magic?"

"It was glowing! At first I thought it was a fairy, but Liberty told me it's a bug. So it has to be magic."

Mom chuckles "That's great Ava." We eat in silence for a moment when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," I mumble heading to the door. I open it to see our neighbor Ms. Ithica. She old and widowed, but very nice. I smile at her. "Hello! What do you need?"

Smiling at me she held out a small container. "I brought some cookies over," she replied. Ava came running to the door.

"Cookies?" She said excitedly, "Can I have one?"

"After dinner Ava." I respond."How are you doing Ms. Ithica?"

Still smiling she opened her mouth to answer. Then she frowned. "That's odd." She muttered.

"What's odd?"

"Hmm? Oh nothing. But I'm fine thank you for asking." She was looking at me as if I'd grown another head. "I'm go to go, I've things to do."

"No! Stay!" Ava begged. She loved Ms. Ithica, and I don't blame her. She's the nicest woman I know.

"Sorry honey," she says still looking at me. She begins to walk away, so I shut the door.

"Who was that?" Mom asks as we walk back into the dining room. She was trying to get Aaron to take a bite of his dinner.

"Ms. Ithica," I say. "She brought some cookies over."

"She's a sweet old lady. Let's finish eating so we can have some of those cookies." After I've finished eating, I head up to my room. It's only 7:30 but I was tired. I lay down when I see that silvery light again.

I sit up quickly and look out the window. The silvery light was hovering by my window. I felt like it was watching me. Maybe I'm more tired than I thought. I lay back down, and slowly drift off to sleep.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Rewritten chapter #1! Yay!

This is totally different so don't think you can just skip reading the rewrite!

Comment and vote! I really appreciate it!

Bye!