Chapter XVII: Meeting Len of Green Fields

The Classic Tale of You and Me:
Len of Green Fields

Rei Hailey sat on the stack of hay in the all-too-familiar barn. The buttresses and the wooden posts that supported the high-roof were still standing. The cows, they were not the same cows he used to milk. Rei sighed. He was there, sitting in silence as he spaced out on the withered golden blades on his feet. It was too much for him to understand. His parents admitted that he was an orphan like his older brother. Albeit he heard it already, it still stung like a thousand bees when they claimed it, and he could not look on things brightly.

Everything was puzzling him.

The silence was broken when he heard a rustling from the door, loud heaving of forceful breaths echoed. There was someone standing at the door, short blonde hair was tucked behind her ear as she pulled the horse with her. He recognized the familiar fair face, crystal-like sweat dropped from her chin as she tied the horse in its pen. Rin Michaelson. Rei's first love.

"Rin!"

She looked at him, blue eyes stared at him in awe. "Rei-Sir Rei!" She smiled, "it's nice to see you after a decade!" The blonde walked to the knight and gave him a hug, something the young man really needed now -- comfort.

He just gave in and embraced her, could not help but notice how their height difference had put him in an advantage. She smelt like the fields and the summer sun, a scent from someone who slaved all day just to get enough of living. He had the same scent when he was younger, they were carrying the fragrance of summer.

She let go of him, rumbling his ebony black hair like she always used to do. This made him smile, albeit his smile was as quick as a second. As they stood there in silence, they said nothing other than she stared at him for a long time.

"A decade surely had done good on you. You look like a strong knight." Rin asked, "do you know who you are?"

Rei nodded and slumped down on the hay, the melancholic look on his face was there again. He was told he was the Prince of Queenland some days or weeks ago, and hearing that told him enough that he was an orphan. However, hearing his known-parents confirm it hurt him more, uneasiness grew inside his chest like a common grass.

"Do you know," Rin sat with him, putting a hand above his hand, "Len was the one who discovered that you were a prince?"

"I figured that out -- nine years after, though." Rei could feel his cheeks warm up and eyes burn with tears. "I don't want any of these, Rin."

"Hush, now. You deserve to meet your real parents." She patted his head and flashed a kind smile. Rei always had a soft spot for that kind heart of hers, and right now he was sure that he was looking at her only as an older sister; his romantic feelings for her thirteen years ago was no more than a childish first love.

"If Len was here, it would be fine. You know he show--"

"Mom!" A girl in a simple tunic topped with a ruffled apron ran inside the barn, her dark blue hair bobbed as she skipped towards her mother. Her bright smile reminded him of Rin's smile as she stood in front them. "O' I'm begging your pardon, Sir. Is he a knight, mother?"

Rei watched Rin beckon the girl to her arms, telling her who was him. There was twitching and pinching in his chest as he looked at the two of them, and he remembered that Rin was wedded for nine years already. A smile lit his forlorn face as the girl grinned at him.

"Good day, Sir Rei!" She curtseyed. "Good day, Prince Rei of Queenland. My name is Aoki Michaelson, and I am five. Do you want some milk? I can go get some from my brothers who collected them this early morning!" The girl beamed.