Mission number 8: Torture Torture Torture

Start from the beginning

"You're an optimistic kind of guy Light." Ryuuk mused. Light laughed more.

"Of course! If I wasn't like this I'd never think about improving my own world." Wonder what he'd do about the crimes that will emerge after he dies...

"The eye of the shinigami, can look at a person's face and see their name and lifespan. When the Shinigami and the person who touched the death note make a deal they can trade eyes. The price of the shinigami's eyes is half of the person's lifespan." Ryuuk explained.

"Half of my life for the eyes of a shinigami. I'd know a person's name just by seeing their face. That would be helfpul." Light smirked menacingly. "Ryuuk" he continued, "This deal, is completely out of the question.

"Boring" I pouted.

"I'm supposed to create a utopia without any criminals and as god of this utopia I have to maintain my reign for a long time. If it lengthened my lifespan I'd consider it but I'd never shorten it. You should know that by now Ryuuk." Light rambled. "If they were wings rather than eyes I may have considered it. To soar freely through the skies. now that is godly, not to mention a dream that humans have shared since ancient times..."

"....But everyone would see you and the police would probably catch you then." Ryuuk said awkwardly.

"I was kidding...."

"......"

"Don't ever become a comedian Light..." I advised. Ryuuk held back his laughter.

"Ahem... anyways if you write the reason of death you will have an additional six minutes and forty seconds to write in the specific details, first I have to test how specific these details can be." Light explained while plotting his next move.

____________________________________________

Through the next few days Light basically just tested how much he can control someone before death. Throughout the experiments it got me thinking. I took out my own little book while Light was in school. Today Ryuuk decided to stay home with me and creeped up from behind me. He snickered as he noticed my own little weapon. I very carefully printed out the letters for my own creation in pen.

" Takawaba Akhishi, beaten to death date xx after writing the words below and posting it up in his cell and continuously insulting the most angry person in his prison. 

'With little reason to continue existing in this world,

I have decided to end my life along with my own inner chaos.

Shall I ever meet her again? I no longer know.

Continue to exist cruel world,

While I forsake any chance of anything good.

And while I may not have met any luck,

Hunting will still follow those left behind.'"

"Where's the message?" Ryuuk questioned.

"Try piecing together the first words of the first two lines with the last words of the 3rd and fourth and interchange it every two lines." I replied smiling at my work. "After a name and death is written it doesn't matter what happens to the paper he still dies in this way right?" I asked

"Yeah."

I waited a good six minutes and forty seconds and ripped the page out going downstairs to burn it. I went back up the stairs and took Light's death note out of his drawer. Let's see what I can do about the rules of this thing...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light's POV:

My eyes opened and I felt my purpose again. Lately in the morning I have to wait a while before I realize the higher purpose I have to serve as god. I hurried downstairs for some breakfast. The girl was already there. Anne. If only I could find out her name I'd have a little more leverage over her.

"You're up early for a saturday." My mother remarked

"I thought I'd go out today. I went to bed early yesterday." As I ate my breakfast I noticed "Anne" go up the stairs into my room. Almost hurriedly. She'll be a burden one day, she knows far too much. With Ryuuk it's a different story, as a shinigami he has no sides and though he won't help me, he won't betray me either. This girl is a different story. As a human she's bound to pick sides and if she were to choose L's side it would be my ruin. Killing her isn't an option, it'd look much too suspicious fotr Kira to go out of his way to kill a non-criminal. The best thing to do is to get her to choose to be on my side.

   I grabbed the newspaper from the kitchen table and went upstairs to my room locking the door.

"What's the result of your experiment?" Ryuuk asked.

"The death note is incredible, for my directions to be carried out in such detail!" I opened my drawer and avoided the trap I set up for intruders. If they follow me today, no they definitely will follow me today. There's no point to tail me on weekdays and not on the days off. I blinked as my hand reached the bottom of the drawer. The death note. My eyes widened before I calmed my panic. I looked at Anne on my bed. Writing, in the death note while looking at the mirror. I swallowed my anger before smiling warmly. I need her to choose my side, I can't lose my anger now.

"What are you doing?" I asked cautiously. She giggled and smirked holding up the note. Neatly in a row she had written all the names she's given herself; Anne Misil, Anne Willard, Lyxa Willard. She stared at her watch as it hit the 40 second mark. And nothing. She was still alive. She smirked. 

"Hey Light?" she implored as she handed me back the death note, "Can you read me the third rule in section IX?" I blinked but decided to go along with it on a whim.

"If the victim's name was misspelled on purpose four or more times the user.." I paused. I see what she's doing now...

"The user along with the victim will die." She finished happily, smirking she looked me in the eye, "All three of those names were fake and while looking at my reflection I had my face in mind, I misspelt my own name three times. If you spell my name incorrectly one more time not only will I die, you will die too. I suggest you avoid trying to kill me, afterall I'm not a threat." I glared at her. She's right, it's much too risky to kill her now. Even if I knew her name, I could never know if it were her real name without the eyes. As I told them before I couldn't possibly take the deal since I need to make my reign as long as possible. I absolutely need her on my side now. I sighed to control myself and set the death note down on my desk in front of my computer.

"What's up?" Ryuuk asked.

"I'll use the guy on the news last night. This marijuana addict tried to rob a bank but couldn't get the money. He shot a teller and a customer before he made his escape." I flipped open my phone, "It's a bit early but it should be fine. Let's try a few people."

"Try a few people?"

" Yep, you know, I'm pretty popular with the ladies Ryuuk."