Chapter 24

"So, I was thinking." Derek announced as he marched into my bedroom.

I looked up from my book, not quite sure how to react to a prince barging into my room. "Do you not know how to knock?"

"Of course I do. I just didn't bother." He sat down across from me at the edge of my bed.

"I could have been changing! Or in the bathroom taking a shower!"

"At one o'clock in the afternoon? That seems like a rather odd time to be showering, don't you think?" He raised an eyebrow teasingly.

"Whatever." I grumbled, rolling my eyes. "What were you thinking about?"

He smiled. "Well, we haven't really done much together except for walk in the gardens and eat."

"Mhm." I nodded slowly. "Is there something wrong with walking and eating? Because I personally really like to eat."

He laughed. "No, there isn't anything wrong with that. I just thought that we should do something different."

"Okay." I sat up, intrigued. "What did you want to do?"

He grinned. "Well, I thought that we should do something the other likes to do."

"Alright." I nodded. "So, what do you like to do? We can do what you want."

"Nope." He stood up and walked over to the piano. "We're going to do what you like to do."

I stood up slowly, confused. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged and sat down at the bench. "I've planned all of our other dates. We're going to do something you like to do."

I raised an eyebrow and sat down beside him. "Play the piano?"

He nodded. "When I picked you up for our first date you were playing the piano. I figured you must like it, and I haven't played in awhile."

"You play the piano?" I asked, surprised.

"Of course I do. My mother used to be a five, so my siblings and I all know how to play at least one instrument."

I nodded. "Cool. But just a warning, I'm pretty rusty. I haven't really played that much in awhile."

He grinned. "Alright then. Play away!"

I chuckled and set my fingers on the keys. I hadn't sat down to play since before our first date, and I'd forgotten how shiny and new the keys were. Our old piano was so old and the keys were worn from years of playing. Still, my fingers found their way across the keys like they used to. I decided to play the song that my parents and I had always played together since it was simple and easy to do. It was short too, and I was done in minutes.

Derek smiled widely beside me. "That was pretty. I don't believe I've heard that one before."

I grinned. "That's because my mom wrote it."

"Wow." His eyes widened. "I didn't know your mother was interested in music."

I shrugged. "She was a five before she married dad, when the castes were still in use. She loves music but she doesn't really play anymore."

"Hm." He thought for a moment. "Our mothers would probably get along pretty well."

"Yeah. I guess they would." I nodded.