Chapter 11

It was mid-afternoon by the time I got back from exploring the palace with Liana. After finding the library we'd explored a bit more, but after nearly running into Celia, we'd decided it was probably best to go back to our rooms. I'd already caused her to dislike me when she found Liana and I on the floor; I didn't need to give her another reason to hate me.

When I entered my room, Cora and Elisa were cleaning, looking as if they were holding back smiles. Beth was organizing, all business as usual. Immediately, after a stern look from Beth, they all curtsied.

"Hello m'lady. Did you have fun walking around the palace?" Cora asked after they'd curtsied.

I sighed-I couldn't stand the abnormal politeness, and it was all mainly because of Beth. Something needed to be fixed. "I did. I had no idea how big the palace really is."

Elisa smiled. "It's huge, isn't it?"

Beth sent a glare at Elisa, not noticing that I was looking at her. "Beth. I know I'm probably not what you were expecting, nor what you were hoping for, but all I want is to be friends. I understand that it sounds improper to you, but I'm pretty much the exact opposite of proper. I'd much prefer that you called me Erika, and not miss or m'lady, and that all the curtsying and politeness stop. Please, for mine and their sake." I finished, motioning towards Elisa and Cora.

Beth stared at me for a few moments, but finally she nodded her head. "Of course mi-Erika. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I said quickly, breathing a sigh of relief. "Now that that's taken care of, what on earth were you two smiling about?" I looked at Elisa and Cora teasingly, my hands on my hips.

Cora grinned and motioned to my bed. I looked, and noticed that there was a small, folded up piece of paper with my name written on top. Quickly, I grabbed the note, and read what it said.

Dear Erika
      I hope this is not too forward, but I request the honor of taking you on a date. If it's alright with you, I will stop by your room later this afternoon. Thank you.
                                      Sincerely,
                                     Derek Schreave

My eyes widened. The prince wanted to take me on a date? A date that would be my first and, possibly, his too. Maybe I'd kicked him in the head when I tripped yesterday...

"What does it say?" Cora asked. They all stared at me excitedly, even Beth.

I smiled softly, holding the note tightly in my hands. "He asked me out on a date."

They shrieked, something I hadn't heard any of them do yet. "Oh my goodness! What did he say you were going to do?"

"He didn't say." I shook my head. "Just that he would be here later this afternoon."

"Oh goodness. That could be anytime! We should get you ready now." Beth tugged my arm, all signs of her stiffness and formality gone.

They left my hair down, curling the ends, and lightly touched up my makeup. They put me in a simple maroon day dress with black accents and, after my incident yesterday, handed me a pair of black flats. I hoped they would stop me from tripping, but I had my doubts.

After they finished getting me ready, we were sitting and talking, when I noticed the piano in the corner of my room. It was gorgeous, painted dark black, with shining keys.

"Oh my goodness! I didn't even notice this was in here." I rushed over and sat down on the bench facing it.

"You play the piano?" Elisa asked as they all walked up behind me.