Chapter 21

"Derek's been with my father constantly since the guards informed them of that girls' mother. They've been in Dad's office ever since." Genevieve frowned while she picked at a nail.

She'd asked Liana and I to come upstairs and keep her company while her maids made sure her dress for the Report tonight would fit. Liana had had to be fitted as well, so Genevieve had practically dragged me upstairs with her. After telling her I'd gotten over the incident with the snake, she'd decided to fill me in on things I'd missed.

"I'd say he's only been on one date since the death. Both him and my father have been concerned about what it could mean."

At least that meant that Derek most likely hadn't been ignoring me. On the other hand, I couldn't help but worry that Cleo's moms death wasn't just a simple yet tragic accident.

"I thought they'd already dismissed it as a coincidence. They don't think it was a rebel group, do they?" I frowned while my thoughts, yet again, turned to the girl I'd overhead.

"They aren't sure. A rebel group seems like it could be possible, but my brother doesn't want everyone to worry for no reason. They're hoping it had nothing to do with the Selection or the palace at all." She explained as a maid brought out a red dress for her to put on.

"Hopefully." I nodded as I stood up to leave.

She smiled softly. "Don't worry about it. My father made sure to send some guards to each of the selected's houses just in case. Your family will be fine."

I smiled and hugged her gently before walking over to the door. "Thanks Gen."

She grinned. "No problem. Now go get dressed before you have to walk onstage in your pajamas."
    ________________________
I played with the charm of my bracelet, praying that the butterflies in my stomach would go away soon. I felt a sudden urge to hurl my lunch, but the thought of ruining the dress my maids had worked so hard on stopped me. It's satiny pale pink fabric with perfectly stitched gold designs on the torso and a high neckline made it easily the nicest dress they'd put me in. If I ruined it, my maids would be devastated.

The reason I was so nervous was because of the Report. Tonight had crept up on me, and I'd completely forgotten that we were supposed to have our first interview. Even though Genevieve had assured me that I'd be fine, I was all but consumed by my nerves. I'd arrived just in time, but I'd been forced into a seat in the middle of the back row. I hadn't gotten a chance to talk with Liana, and since she was put in the front row there was no way I could get her attention. I'd have to wait until the Report ended.

It had started off like any other Report, with announcements from King Maxon and his advisors, but it quickly changed it's focus to us. They seemed to be going in a random order, so we had no idea when we would be called up. Liana was one of the first to go up but, unlike the other girls, she seemed real and confident. When Gavril asked her a question, she answered honestly, but in a way that made her seem even more believable. I wondered if she'd prepared herself, or if she was just naturally a good speaker in public.

"And now Lady Erika Carpenter of Kent!" Gavril's voice suddenly rang out across the set.

I nearly fell out of my chair, I was so surprised. I'd been so caught up in my thoughts that I hadn't even been listening to the other interviews.

I walked slowly up to Gavril at the front of the stage, only stumbling once or twice. He motioned to the chair beside him, and I sat down slowly.

"Hello Lady Erika. How are you this evening?" Gavril smiled warmly at me.

"I'm good, thank you." I smiled softly back at him, trying to relax.

"And how are you enjoying the palace?"