Chapter 15

"You're serious? She actually put a snake in your room?" I stared at Derek, shocked at what I was hearing.

He nodded. "I'm completely serious."

"But-but how on earth did she even get her hands on a snake?" I asked incredulously.

"Don't ask me. All I remember is that I accidentally lost her favorite stuffed animal, and the next thing I know I'm waking up to a snake on my floor." He said, shuddering at the memory.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Eight year old Genevieve must have really loved that toy."

"A little too much if you ask me. But that's Genevieve for you." He chuckled as he led us around the garden.

I laughed. "True."

Our conversation slowed to a comfortable stop, allowing me to look around the garden. It was gorgeous outside today and when Derek had knocked on my door asking to go on a walk, I jumped at the chance. Not that I would have said no, but still.

"Are you excited for the Report tomorrow?" He asked as he sat down on a small bench.

I sighed as I sat down beside him. "Don't remind me. It's all the other girls can talk about."

He chuckled. "Then they'll be disappointed. I don't believe they're planning on talking to you all until next week."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh thank goodness. I don't think I would have been ready."

He laughed. "I didn't think you'd have a fear of public speaking."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't. But I'd rather not embarrass myself in front of the entire country."

"I doubt you'd embarrass yourself." He chuckled.

I looked at him. "Do you not remember what I did when we met?"

He thought for a moment. "True. You know, it might actually be a good thing they aren't interviewing you yet. We wouldn't want you injuring Gavril when he calls you over."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms as he laughed at me.

"I'm just kidding." He chuckled. "The most you'd do is knock over a few chairs."

"Way to build up my confidence." I scoffed.

"No problem." He grinned. "You'll be fine. Besides, if Genevieve can sit through an entire Report, so can you."

"Genevieve's grown up with the Report." I raised an eyebrow. "I grew up on a farm where I only saw people not related to me once or twice a week."

He sighed. "I'm trying to be encouraging but you're not really helping. I guess you'll just end up embarrassing yourself."

I laughed. "Well that wasn't very encouraging."

"I've given up. You're no use." He chuckled, shaking his head. "I'll have to warn Gavril about you."

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Gavril will love me."

"Keep telling yourself that." He teased before standing and taking my hand.

We walked together back to my room in comfortable silence, while maids scurried past holding bundles of fabric. It was crazy how fast this week had gone by; I couldn't believe that the Report was tomorrow. Everything at the palace had been surprising as well, especially Derek. When I was younger I had spent so much time thinking about what he was like, how he would act, how he would be, it was strange to actually be with him in real life.