34

Part 34: "Reyes"

"Kat. You're okay. Please just breathe," Hayley mumbled, running her hands through the blonde's choppy hair.

"They knew her. Isaac was friends with her. You knew her, Jackson. All this time. How could I not have known?" she choked back tears, face smothered by the pillow she lay on.

"I barely knew her. Babe," Jackson's forehead knit into a frown. "There's no point beating yourself up over this."

"I agree," Lucas stated from the wall he leant against, pushing himself off it with the one foot that'd rested on the blu-tack stained surface.

"She's dead. She's dead and I've been talking to her friends without knowing it."

"Kat please."

"She was my SISTER Jackson," Kat said, getting up as she threw the pillow to the other end of the room. "You know," she sucked in a breath that seemed to dry her tears almost instantaneously as if gusts of wind has twisted their way into every damp pore of her skin. "When I first met you and Isaac I was so tempted to ask. To ask if you knew her. Beacon Hill's isn't that big is it?" she laughed sourly. "Then I remembered what she was like. How she didn't like having people around because she was scared they'd turn on her. How she thought her fits made her different. How was I supposed to ask? Do you know my epileptic cousin who thinks she's a pariah and won't show everyone who she really is? Who won't show them that-"

"-Kat," Hayley ground her teeth together. "Stop. Blaming. Yourself."

"I can't believe I found out this way. They didn't even know I knew her. Crash course in the supernatural my ass."

"Honey it's been nearly two years...why now?"

"Mum I know her friends. If there's any way I can find out what happened to her..."

"This isn't about finding out what happened to her. You said," Kat's mother frowned slightly, "You said Isaac was friends with her. If they were in the same pack he would know. This is about closure isn't it?"

"Y'know it's so funny how no one thought we were alike but really she was just like me. Sure she'd never show anyone the closet full of leather she was afraid to trade in her sweatpants for but I saw it. I knew. She showed me. I guess-" her voice broke slightly, "-I guess that changed though when she turned. From what they told me, she became a real badass. Never got to see that."

"Kat-"

"-you know what? Maybe it is for closure."

"I'm sorry but there's no way the two of you are just packing up and moving to California."

"Why not?"

"It's a town infested with supernaturals for one-"

"-we've trained just fine."

"You're not even a legal adult."

"Lucas'll be 18 this month."

"No," Hayley jumped in, narrowing her eyes at the blonde. "We are not taking Lucas."

"Why not?"

"Are you just planning on ignoring the fact that there's a true alpha in Beacon Hills who happens to look exactly like Lucas and has been hunted and nearly killed on multiple occasions for it? It's not safe for him."

"Then we'll take Isaac. Hell we'll even take Jackson. They know the place."

"Doesn't matter who you'll take because you're not going."

"But-"

"Kat. You can't force people to move across the world to a place they willingly left," her mother shook her head. "And what about school? You're doing your A's this year."

"We were going to give the SATs anyway-"

"-I'm sorry baby. I miss Erica too. But you're not going."

A/N

yee erica and kat were cousins oOooOooO