Chapter Four - Pretentious, Yet Lovable

Chapter Four – Pretentious, Yet Lovable

Katrina was up early the next morning, half because she couldn't sleep, and half because it occurred to her that she hadn't fed the cats since yesterday morning.

Grumbling lightly to herself, she grabbed the two cat bowls off the floor and placed them on the counter, ignoring the two cats that jumped up beside them and stared expectantly at Katrina, their ever so willing slave.

The brunette couldn't help but smile as she walked over and reached out to give the black cat a soft stroke, allowing her to purr contently.

"Sorry, babies. We didn't mean to forget about you. We just had a... busy night..."

The black cat looked up at Katrina with an almost knowing expression, ignoring the food that was being poured into the bowl, while the other cat, gray with white markings, began to devour his with unsettling speed.

Katrina gave the cat an odd look, making herself some hot chocolate quietly.

Once it was made, she clasped the cup tightly, turning around and heading out into the small living room, coming face to face with Taylor, who jumped in surprise.

"Oh," Taylor held a hand to her heart and took a deep breath. "Dear Lord, Trina, you can't sneak around like that, you scared me."

"That's what I'm here for, lover." Katrina teased lightly, making to move around Taylor.

Her red headed friend, however, seemed to be having none of that as she wrapped her arms around Katrina, holding her in place.

"I'm sorry, Katrina. For last night. I shouldn't have been so eager to overlook the peeping. I, uh... guess you could say I was being, well..."

"You weren't being stupid, Taylor," Katrina objected quickly, knowing how hard it was for her best friend to say that word directed at herself. "He's your idol, of course you wanted to defend him. I don't blame you, so you don't have to get upset."

"Are you sure?" Taylor's lower lip jutted as she leaned back to look up at the slightly taller girl. Katrina smirked and gave her friend a gentle pat on the head.

"Yes, of course I'm sure. Now, you might want to get your cat checked out. He's a little derpy."

"Alfredo!" Taylor sang gleefully as she ran into the kitchen in search for her cat, causing Katrina to roll her eyes at the absolutely idiotic name for the cat. But, Taylor thought it fit the feline so who was Katrina to say otherwise? As long as Taylor was happy.

Katrina tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear as she walked over to the piano in the corner of the main room.

Sitting herself down at the seat, Katrina brushed her fingertips over the keys as she mulled over what she should play. Though, soon, she found that, as usual, she couldn't think of anything she was in the mood to play.

"Having a little trouble?" Taylor inquired, walking out of the kitchen with a cup of tea in her hands. Unlike Katrina, who hated both, Taylor often drank tea and occasionally coffee.

"Yes, as always. I can pretty much play any song, yet I can never decide on one."

"Well, you know what I always say; play from your heart," Taylor smiled brightly at her friend, before looking over at the door as a knock sounded from it. "I'll get that, you just play, I'm excited to see what you figure out."

Katrina watched her friend as she left, before turning back to look at the piano keys with a sigh.

At the door, Taylor slowly pulled it open just enough to peek through, finding herself surprised when she recognized the two men on her doorstep as the same ones from last night.