The Beast

Kit's Pov

A loud thunderous noise followed by a trembling growl wakes me up with a start. Upon opening my eyes I'm met with a pair of large glowing green eyes. I could tell that they belonged to Declan, but not the one I'm used to. 

"Declan?" I say trying to speak normally, but it comes out as a whisper. The large beast gives a low grunt causing me to flinch back a bit, he whimpers then circles around me before laying next to me on our bed. The thunderous noise starts up again, a noise which I now recognize as thunder, and he shoots back up growling at the roof. I grimace at the sound a bit. Rodney used to make me sleep outside during the storms, but I don't think Declan would do that to me. Now I can ignore the fear I feel every time it strikes. Declan whines slowly, but this time, he is looking at me. I know he is upset that I'm scared of the thunder. I scoot myself up so that I'm propped up on the bed, but it uses a lot of my energy to do so. 

"Water. " I whimper. He looks at me noticing my struggle and lets out another whimper.  He motions for me to follow him and leaps to my side of the bed.  I try to roll onto him but end up falling into a heap on the floor. 

Instantly the beast shifts back into the Declan I'm used to and pulls me back onto the bed. I notice that his eyes aren't his usual green, they turned into a dark red. I am still in the presence of his evolved Lycan. The bright eyes scan my body for injuries and once he finds none he says in a voice that is similar to his usual one but complimented by a growl, "Don't Move." 

I follow his instruction as I watch his retreating form. I don't think I had the will or energy to move anyway. When his presence leaves me the thunder suddenly scares me even more, I don't think it was this loud even when I was outside at night! I cover my nose with my blanket until he rushes back in with a cup of water and ice.

 He looks at me intensely, "Can you hold it yourself?" I nod, and he carefully hands it to me. After my first sip, I feel the cup becoming heavier, but I don't want him to have to help me with everything. I continue holding it myself.  After he takes my cup I slowly begin to drift off, but I see him shift back into the large beast he was earlier mumbling 'I love you more."

-

-

This time, nothing wakes me up.  No thunder, no growling, nothing. I look over to see my mate staring at me from the foot of our bed. He is in human form, but he is still not here yet. 

I yawn and stretch my feet, I feel much more energized than I did earlier when I woke up, but I'm in no way completely well yet. I think that I can at least walk now. 

"Declan?" He perks up when I say his name and looks at me attentively, "What's your favorite color?" 

 He arches his eyebrow and gazes at me. He looks like he's in deep thought, thinking it over as if it's the hardest question he's ever been asked. "Blue." He decides after a minute and gazes at me for approval. I smile and he looks a bit relieved. "Yours?"

"Green," I say a bit too quickly looking into his eyes. He smirks at me playfully and stalks over to me. I giggle a bit as he kisses up my neck and trails his way up to my face. His forehead settles onto mine as we make eye contact from that close. 

"Did both of us really just pick the color of each others eyes?"

 "Can we go out for a walk? Or at least go sit outside?" I giggle avoiding his question.

I feel like I've been cooped up in here for days. Declan growls lowly at the idea but slumps his shoulders when he looks at my pleading face. "Yes, but just to be clear you should not go outside with out me. It's dangerous, and I don't trust anyone," He says lowly, letting more of his beast in control. 

I agree with him and smile brightly. "Outside! " I sit up and carefully step off the bed, Declan is instantly by my side to make sure I don't fall.

"Must protect mate." I hear the beast mumbling under his breath. I chuckle a little and find that I can walk well, just slowly. 

Declan puts his arm around me so he can catch the slightest imbalance in my step. After he removes his security precautions the room fills with the natural light. I blink as my eyes adjust to it.

We cautiously exit the house, taking it very slowly. It seems now that were outside his beast is in full control.  A few people that were on the path gasp and move out of his way. The amount of power that radiates off of his whole body is alarming. He could be king if he wanted the crown, I think to myself. 

We reach the end of our secluded path and the rest of the area is filled with people. The chatter slowly dies down as they feel the newfound power of their alpha, many bow their heads. 

"Declan, maybe we should head back inside." I choke out. 

He nods, readjusting his grip on me as he sees his third in command approaching.  

"Alpha." The man greets. Declan shifts so that I'm more covered by him than not. 

"Marlon." He responds his eyes turning into a deep red . The third in command steps back a bit, afraid, but he quickly regains his composure. Declan is probably a bit unsettling to be around if your not his mate.  

"The Beta of the neighboring pack we defeated is requesting your presence tomorrow," Marlon informs, "My instincts tell me they are up to something. I suggest you leave the Luna behind."

Declan growls. "No." He rumbles and then hesitates. "She is human, Marlon."

Marlon gasps, "Human? No wonder your-"He stops. "What do you suggest we do, Sir?" 

"I have a plan. Let's move into my office."