Prologue

"I miss you."

A dark-haired young woman perched by a window in one of the split-level houses along Adams Street, her face obscured by the frosted glass.

Moonlight reflected off the thin blanket of snow that covered the earth. In the stillness, the world seemed at peace, but peace was the last thing on her mind as she brought a hand to the window and gently stroked the pane. Cold air leaked into the room around the edges of the glass.

Sleep eluded her, and so she spent the remainder of the night at the window as the night passed away and gave way to Christmas morning.

She adored the holiday season, but there was a sad void that even joy could not fill. Ten years had passed since her grandmother had died.

"You make me proud to be your grandma, Haley. One day, when you are all grown up and old enough to understand, you'll share that same joy with your children and your grandchildren, God willing."

Haley wiped at the tears in the corners of her blue eyes and willed a smile. She placed both hands on her swollen belly and murmured quietly. Very soon, she would know the joy of which her grandma had spoken.

Haley returned to bed. Her husband, Richard, snored on his side. She snuggled under the warm blankets as her mind drifted to the drive she had taken a few weeks earlier in her grandma's old neighborhood. While her grandma's childhood home no longer stood, memories still lived on.