A Winter Tale [4]

Dedicated to Kris

A Winter Tale

Fourth Sunday in Advent

***22nd December***

"Your birthday party was great! I can't believe you forgot the lyrics again! It was an easy song and you couldn't even sing the refrain!" Melanie babbled on. She seemed to have forgotten to care about Mr Unknown. I didn't know why but I couldn't resist to wear the necklace today. It was oh so beautiful. But I didn't want to cause a commotion and when Mel sees it she will definitely want to know where I got it, so I'm hiding it under my turtleneck.

"And tomorrow vacation starts. Do you have any plans for the holidays?"

"Well, I think my mum mentioned something about going over to grandma's place but I forgot the date." I answered honestly.

"Okay, so did your secret admirer finally sign one of his letters?" And I thought she had pushed the topic to the back of her mind.

"Nope." The only thing that changed this week was that the rose petals were pure red now.

"Today is his last chance to finally confess to you. He won't be able to contact you over the holidays."

Ups...I didn't tell her about the letters he sent me home. Well, it's probably the best to keep it a secret or else she will feel betrayed. But it was a fact that Christmas is just a few days away, so what is he planning? Will he reveal his identity on Christmas? Or will he remain hidden in the shadows? I hope he finds the courage to talk to me face to face.

"Okay, so I heard Carter talked to you a few days back. I investigated a bit and it really seems as if he has taken an interest in you. One of the girls in my P.E. class even said she heard him say that he's falling for you."

"Are you sure?" I asked surprised. But she could be right. He started talking to me just recently. Maybe he is the one we are looking for.

"I have my whistle-blowers. I'm 150% sure about it. That's why I threw the list in the next garbage can. Oh my god. I never expected Carter to be so romantic. You should go out with him." Yeah, I probably should. Someone who can write poetical lines like those I received, someone who gives me a beautiful necklace for my birthday, a person like that can't be a weirdo. So it's decided then.

"So schools finally over. Have you any plans for the holidays?" Ian wanted to know on our ride back home.

"I think I go over to Carter's place and -"

"WAIT! You and Carter are dating? Since when?"

"We aren't dating...yet. He is the one writing those letters everyday." I mumbled poking my finger tips together.

"Okay, then ... good luck!" I don't know why but somehow I got the feeling Ian didn't like the idea of me going over to Carter's place but I didn't dare to ask.

***24th December***

I took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell of Carter's house. Just a few moments later he opened the door.

"Erm... hi. What are you doing here?" He questioned surprised.

"Can I come in? I want to talk to you."

"Erm... sure." He said and stepped aside letting me step across the threshold. He showed me the way to the living room and I sat down on the couch.

"So what do you want to talk about?"

"I want to talk about the letters."

"Letters?" He looked at me as if he had no idea what I was talking about.