A Winter Tale [1]

Dedicated to Kris

A Winter Tale

First Sunday in Advent

*** 1st December***

"Get up already! Ian is here! Don't make him wait!" my mother called through my slightly opened door. I just hid under the covers. I hate getting up early. Slowly I lifted one arm out of my warm covers to reach for the alarm clock. After several tapping into nothing my fingers curved around it and I pulled it under the sheets to look at the time. HOLY S***!!! I'm super late. My tiredness completely gone I rushed to the bathroom to change into my school uniform and do my daily business. I grabbed my bag and rushed down the stairs where Ian was already waiting for me. As he saw me dashing downstairs he opened the front door for me, so I don't have to stop. Gratefully I continued to hurry outside to his car as suddenly my feet slipped on some ice and I landed ruggedly on my butt. Behind me I heard someone chuckle.

"Very funny, Ian, haha." I stated.

"That's your punishment for making me wait so long." he shrugged and walked up to me, offering me a hand to help me up. I gladly took it.

"Why is there ice on the sidewalk anyway?" I pouted, making him burst out in laughter.

"It's December 1st. It's winter. What's unusual about snow and ice in the winter?" I didn't bother to answer; I will only amuse him more and I'm not in the mood for jokes.

We were silent on the way to school and Ian pulled up in his usual parking spot. After that he kept me company until we reached my locker. "Good morning, Roxanne!" Carter, a guy from my Math class greeted me as he passed by.

"See you at lunch then." Ian said over his shoulder as he walked past me.

"Sure."

"Roxy! G'morning!" Melanie, one of my best buddies, greeted me.

"Hi... What's up?" I asked after I saw her sceptical look.

"Are you still hanging out with Ian?" I sighed.

"Mel, I know Ian since we were in kindergarten and he's a good friend."

"And he's gay." She shot back.

"C'mon. Not this topic again." Mel was a great friend but due to some unknown reason she had a problem with Ian being gay.

"You know as a fact, Roxy, that his ex girlfriend broke up with him because she caught him kissing Steve from our English class!"

"Mel, please drop it." I replied annoyed.

"But-"

"So what if he is? That has nothing to do with the friendship between the two of us. I have no problem with him being gay, so shut it." The warning bell echoed through the hallway.

"Look Mel, I don't have time for this right now." Finally I turned to my locker and opened it to get my Math book. But there was an envelope lying on top of my books with a large "1" written on it. I put it in my Math book so I can read it later, now I have not the time. I hurried into the class and made it just in time.

After solving the first Math problem my curiosity got the best of me and I opened the envelope under my desk. As I opened it lots of white rose petals came out of it along with a tiny note. Before reading the note I stuffed the petals back in the envelope.

"To the most beautiful girl on this planet." Stunned I stared at the elegant handwriting and turned the sheet of paper to look if someone put a signature on it but there was nothing. On the envelope was no signature either. Weird. What is this supposed to mean?