Chapter 24

{edited}

I walked down the aisle of the grocery store. Fae, Dani, and Carson accompanied me. Except, Carson was in his baby seat which sat in the trolley...

Anyways, as we walked down, I searched for all of the snack stuff. Once I found it, I had Dani pick something out. Her being her, she picked out Scooby Doo graham crackers.

"Okay, put those in the trolley, so we can go get cereal," I demand.

Dani nods and skips over to the cart, putting the graham crackers in. Fae pushes the cart, heading to the next isle. I feel a small tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see a petite figure.

"Hey, I'm Lacey. Do you think you could do me a favor?" She asks, politely.

"Of course. What is it?" I smile.

She's pretty. Very pretty. Prettier than me. Wait, everybody's prettier than me. Don't that about yourself Michael! That's mean.

"Uh, sir?" She asks.

"Oh, sorry. I zoned out," I chuckle.

"I could tell. Why were you staring at me though? Wasn't that your wife pushing the cart?"

I start to choke on air. "No! No, we're best friends. We're practically brother and sister. No," I laugh.

"Were those her kids?" She asks.

I hear a small voice call out "mama!"

Lacey turns around to look at the little girl sitting in the trolley. "What honey?" She asks the little girl. The little girl just holds her arms out. Lacey swiftly takes hold of the girl and comes back.

"Michael, quit flirting with girls! We need to check out. I got everything we needed," Fae calls out.

"So what did you need?" I ask.

"Oh yeah! Can you grab that box of Cheez-Its down for me?" She asks, pointing to the box of Cheez-Its.

I reach up and grab the box. She could've easily gotten it down with her kid's help. She wants me. This is so cliché.

"So, do you have a husband or something?" I ask, looking at the little girl.

"No. We got divorced six months ago. Man was a pig," she informs.

"Oh, well, since we're both single, how about we trade numbers and I'll take you on a date?" I suggest.

"Michael," Fae calls out again.

"Meet me in the car! I'll be out soon," I yell back.

I see her push the cart away with Carson. Dani runs over to me, and clings onto my leg. I chuckle lightly.

"Anyways, about the date, does that sound okay?" I ask, nervously.

"Um, sure. I'll just have to find a sitter," she informs.

"I could probably get Fae to watch the kids. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. So, I'll text you the details?" I suggest.

She nods with a smile. We trade phones, and put our numbers in. We hand each other's phones back.

"How about this Friday?" I suggest.

"Sounds good," she smiles.

"Feels good," I smirk.

"Um, what did you just say to me?" She asks, eyes wide.

"Sounds good, feels good. I'll explain it some other time," I inform.

She just nods before walking away. I pick up Dani, and walk out of the store.

***

"Michael, you can't just expect me to take care of three kids, so you can go on a stupid, little date!" Fae argues.

"Why not? It's just for a couple of hours! Please Fae," I beg.

"No Michael! Taking care of a baby plus Dani is hard enough! I don't want to take care of another kid! I've been so stressed from taking care of them! I haven't gotten sleep in months, because of Carson crying every god damn fucking night! I'm not taking care of another kid!" Fae practically yells.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I just figured you would do this for me. You didn't seem stressed or tired at all. If you don-"

"Well now you know. Now please, leave me alone. I'm going to my room to lay down," she informs.

I nod, looking down in guilt. She walks away quickly. I decide to follow her. I walk up the stairs to hear faint crying from Carson. I knock on Fae's door. She doesn't answer, so I walk in. There she is, staring at Carson. Tears run down her face. I walk over to the crib, and carefully pick up Carson. Fae immediately crumbles to the floor in sobs.

"Fae?" I ask gently. "Fae, what's wrong?"

"I can't do this Michael. I don't want to be a mum. I hate this!" She yells.

I set Carson in his crib, and immediately hug Fae. "Hey, hey, hey! You're okay Fae," I whisper.

"No I'm not Michael! Ever since I had Carson, I've been feeling more depressed than I have ever been! That's really bad coming from me Michael. You may think you know me, well you don't. I have been through Hell and back," she yells.

Carson starts to cry once again. 

"Fae, I'm sorry I asked. You don't have to. Just calm down. How about this, this weekend, I'll find a sitter to watch the kids. You can go out to the mall with Mali or something, and I'll go on my date," I suggest.

She nods and leans into my chest. I hug her as she cries.

"Daddy, why is there yelling amd crying?" Dani asks from the doorway. She held her little blanket and stuffed animal. Shit. We woke her up from her nap.

"It's nothing Dani. Go lay back down," I demand.

"But I can't sleep," she whines.

I sigh, slightly irritated. "Then go play Dani. I'm busy right now." She nods and walks to the direction of her room. Fae finally collects herself, and stands up. I follow her actions. She wipes her eyes, and picks up Carson.

"I'm sorry," she whispers.

"Nothing to be sorry for Fae.  I'm here for you though," I inform.

I look at her lips and back to her eyes. I quickly lean in and kiss her. She immediately pushes me away.

"Michael, stop," she mutters, shaking her head.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. It was just heat of the moment. Shit. Sorry," I ramble.

"Michael, it's fine. I just want to be alone for a while."

Well damn. What did I just get myself into?

I'm publishing the interview on Tuesday, so last chance to comment, direct message me, or anything like that to ask the characters some questions.

Btw, I'm leaving on Wednesday for two weeks if you didn't know.

Bye

-Andrea