Chapter 3

[edited]

It's been about a week since I told Dani about her mum. She freaked out at first, but luckily within the last five years, I've learned how to handle situations where she cries.

Today was Saturday, so I had promised Dani I would take her to the park. However, plans changed when John decided to hook us up with a last minute interview.

How the hell am I going to tell Dani? I had promised her a day alone with me.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Dani screamed out my name.

"What princess?" I ask as calmly as I could.

"When are we going to the park?" she asks.

"Um, princess, about that, we can't go to the park today, okay? Daddy has an interview. Then after that, daddy has to go do other work," I inform sadly.

Her eyes well up with tears as she begins to cry. I pick her up and hug her. I stroke her hair as she cries into my shoulder.

I'm a lame excuse of a father.

"I'm sorry, princess. How about I make you a deal?" I suggest.

Dani looks up at me with her big green eyes. Tears had stained her cheeks. Her breaths are shaky.

"How about after your ballet concert tomorrow, you and daddy can go do something fun?"

She nods but soon buried her head in my chest. Before I know it, slow, soft breathing come from her mouth. She had fallen asleep. She did need a nap. She had been somewhat cranky all day, not too bad though.

***

"Please welcome, 5 Seconds of Summer!" the television show host, Eden, says with a bounce in his voice.

We were walking on stage, but something had gripped my leg. I look down to see Dani clung to my leg. Knowing she wouldn't let go, I kept walking.

Once I got there, the crowd burst into fits of laughter.

"Uh, Michael, I think you have something stuck to your leg," Eden giggles.

"Yeah, I hope you don't mind. My pet dog is clinging onto me for dear life," I laugh slightly.

"Daddy! I'm not a doggy, Ashy's the doggy!" she pouts.

The boys burst into laughter. The crowd was completely unaware since she had a small voice, and didn't have a microphone on top of that.

"Anyways, let's get going. So Michael, since your daughter is here, do you mind if I ask her a few questions?" Eden asks.

"Not at all," I smile.

I pick Dani up and set her in my lap. Calum hands her the microphone.

"Hi Dani! How are you?" Eden simply asks her.

"Good!" Dani giggles.

"That's great! So I heard you started school about a week ago. Are you having fun?"

She nods with bright eyes.

"Yeah! I made a bunch of friends! My new best friend's name is Jade!"

"Yeah? Are your teachers nice?"

She nods once again.

"Miss Z is my favorite. She brings in treats when it's someone's birthday!"

"That's fun! What are you and your daddy doing this weekend?"

"Well, we were gonna go to the park, but daddy has to work here. Then tomorrow, daddy's going to watch me be a ballerina with my friends! After that, he says we're gonna do something fun!"

"What do you hope you two will do?"

"Play barbies and go to the park!"

"Aw, that's so cute! Looks like we have a huge daddy's girl on our hands," she laughs. "Now, can you pass that to your daddy please?"

She nods before holding the microphone out to me.

"Here you go daddy!"

I take the microphone out of her hands. She cuddles into me looking bored out of her mind.

"So Michael, is there anybody special in your life right now? Do you have a girlfriend or a girl in mind?" Eden asks.

"Um, other than Dani, not really. I guess I just haven't been looking for a girlfriend. I mean, I've been focusing on the band and Dani. I don't really have much spare time on my hands. When I do, I prefer sleeping and playing video games," I laugh.

"I see. Well, do any of you boys have a special lady in mind?"

"Uh," Calum takes the microphone from my hand. "I kind of like this girl, but I think I got friend zoned," he laughs.

"Aw, I'm sorry Cal. I'm sure Dani will cheer you up. Won't you Dani?"

Dani nods and stands up. She crawls onto Calum's lap, giving him a kiss on the cheek. The audience breaks into a chorus of 'awes'.

"Aw, thank you, Dani. I love you," Calum coos.

"Love you, too Uncle Cal," Dani giggles hugging him.

"Hey Dani, I have another question. How much do you love your uncles?"

Dani spreads her arms out wide. "This much," she beams.

"How much do you love your daddy?"

Dani tries to stretch her arms out more. "This much!"

After another ten minutes, the interview ends. Dani sets on top of my shoulders as we walk out.

"Did you have fun, Dani?" Ashton asks her.

"Yes Uncle Ashy," she yawns.

"You're tired again?" I ask shocked.

She doesn't say anything, so I assumed she nodded. I lifted her off my shoulders and carried her properly.

"Daddy, will I ever have a mummy?" she asks quietly.

"Maybe one day Dani," I say holding her closer to me.

"Can I go see mummy Cal?"

I chuckle a little. Her smile was big and bright. Just like her personality. Her giggle filled the hallway as we walked.

"Mummy Cal!" she calls out.

Calum turns around laughing.

"Yes Dani?" he chuckles.

She instantly makes grabby hands at him. He laughs and takes her out of my arms. She bounces around a little.

"Dani, I thought you were tired," I question with a chuckle.

"Not anymore daddy!" She looks at Calum. "Where are we going now, Mummy Cal?"

"Well, you are going to Ash's house to play with Lauren and Harry for a while until your grandma gets home. Then Anne will take you to grandma's house. Then you'll be staying the night there," Calum explains.

"What about daddy? Is he staying the night, too?"

"No babe. I can't tonight. I'm going to see you at your ballet though," I inform her.

"But daddy! I want you," she whines.

Tears fill her eyes.

"I know babe, but you'll see me tomorrow," I sigh.

I take her into my arms as she pouts.