Chapter 12

[edited]

"Dani," I whisper, shaking her awake.

"No," she mumbles.

She really is my daughter.

"Don't you want to go to school?" I ask.

"No," she mumbles, tiredly.

"Why not?"

"Tired."

I sigh. I pick her along with the small blanket she cuddles with when she sleeps. I make sure to keep her covered as I walk downstairs. I turn on the kitchen light as she whines, and buries her head in my chest and covering up more. I chuckle lightly.

I walk over to a cupboard and open it up. Apple Jacks, Frosted Flaked, Fruity Pebbles, and oatmeal.

"What do you want to eat, Dani?" I ask.

No response. God damnit. How do I wake my damn child up?

"Dani," I say firmly, but gently.

I bounce up and down a little. She whines loudly.

"Stop daddy!" she whines, getting annoyed.

"Dani, you need to get ready for school," I inform.

"No," she pouts.

"Tell me what cereal you want."

"No!"

"Danielle Natalie Clifford, tell me what you want!" I scold.

"No!" she screeches, making me jump a little from the sudden yell.

"That's it, Dani. You're going in time out," I sigh.

"No!" she cries.

I carry her over to a corner. I set her down and walk away. She begins to cry hysterically. I set the timer on my phone for five minutes. I sit down at the table with a groan.

I've never actually had to deal with a day like this. I never really had to wake her up until her school started. She's usually done pretty good with getting up. There were a few days where mum had to force her up, but she never reacted this bad.

Fae walks down. "What's going on down here?" she asks. 

"Dani wasn't cooperating with me, so I had to put her in time out. Did her cries wake you up?" I ask.

She just nods.

"Sorry," I say apologetically.

"No, it's fine," she sighs, sitting at the table with me.

The timer on my phone goes off. I walk out to Dani, whose cries were now whimpers. I look to see her curled in a ball in the corner that I had left her in.

"Baby," I say softly.

She looks up at me with her teary eyes. Stay strong Michael. Don't cave in.