1

I hopped off of the giant hamster wheel and wiped the swet off my Sartorius muscle. "that's one fuel cell completed for the day" I think to myself.

nowadays, the only way to get any power to any houses is by using fuel cells, which are powered and recharged by us Runners. our job is to run on giant hamster wheels until we finish charging as many fuel cells as possible. I work at Farm 182, a public one. most of them are. public farms supply power to stores, government buildings, and any public works projects. there are other types of farms, too. residential farms are used to power neighborhoods and apartment complexes. to light up a whole city, many residential and public farms are put together to create "mass power farms". but the only city near me is the Oasis. it's the central hub in my desert biome, Brooke's (me) natural habitat. I live in a small town pretty far from the Oasis. I've never been there.

I go to the underground tunnels where most runners have their breaks. not because we are the descendants of moles (which we are), but because it's cooler down there. moles.

that was where I met JSCOB.
he was soo dreamy, his hair as tall as the Oasis top buikding. which was 10000000 feet tall.

it seemed as if he was waiting for me. when I got down to the lunch tables he smiled at my. he introduced himself.
"hi, I'm Jacob." he said, extending a paw towards me.
"Brooke," I said back. "I've never seen you before."
"I've seen your fuel cell scores. top ranks."
"ok," I said.
"I have a small independent business, and I need some good power. I help out with the smaller towns that are overlooked because the big givernments don't think they matter enough. I was wondering if you wanted a new job. pretty much the same as this, except with a higher pay and would help out towns like yours."
I grined at him.
"sure,@ I say. @
"here is a map," he said, handing a piece of worn paper to me. he must be pretty outdated, because nobody uses paper anymore. just holographic touch screens that sometimes say ChumplChalk Touch, Inc. that company supplies most technology.

on the map was a line leading to a big field looking thing with a circle around it.
he looked at me and smiled.
"work starts tomorrow."