Chapter Five

"Absolutely no respect for authority whatsoever!" Dax shouts angrily, "I told you we should've kicked her ass out right away but no. You had to play the good samaritan and let her stay!"

I wince, sorry that Archer has to get screamed at by the pissed off shapeshifter on my behalf. When he'd spotted me with Lailani and Anabel, Dax had dragged my ass out into the hall with Archer hot on his heels, both of them pissed that I'd broken one of their rules. Their reaction makes me angry. I wasn't doing anything wrong. I didn't hurt anybody. I was just talking to them and Dax wants to kick me out for that? This is ridiculous. At least, at Grimm Haven, I'd demanded a sort of respect. I was looked upon by the other, less powerful, supernaturals with fear and obedience. Here, I'm looked at as the dirt under this poor excuse for a shapeshifter's boot. I huff angrily and cross my arms. The noise is ignored, just as my words have been every time I try to speak them.

This is where we've been for the last fifteen minutes, Dax and Archer going back and forth while I lean against the wall, unable to get a word in edgewise. Is this how they treat all of their new members? I mean, sure, I used to work for the man who might just be the most vile creature on earth, but they don't know that. What's with the harsh treatment?

"Be reasonable, Dax. All she did was talk to Lailani. It's not like she tried to kill her," Archer says with a roll of his eyes. He's trying to appear calm but the hard set of his jaw tells me that he's just as pissed as Dax is about my so called 'lack of respect.'

From the look on Dax's face, that wasn't the right thing to say.

"And what if she had? For all we know, she could've been planning to do just that!"

Archer crosses his arms, not backing down. I frown at him silently. Why is he defending me?

"If you'd let her learn how to fight, it wouldn't be a problem," he retorts with a cocked eyebrow.

Huh. I guess I'm not the only one petitioning for Dax to let his girlfriend train.

The shapeshifter's face is red with rage. "Do not change the subject, Valentine," he roars in Archer's face. The hybrid doesn't back down. Instead, he steps up to the challenge in Dax's voice.

I take this opportunity to step in.

"Look, I'm sorry that I broke your rules. When Lailani talked to me, I didn't want to be rude, so I talked to her. It's been a long time since I've had a friendly conversation with anyone and I guess that distracted me from my limits. I really didn't mean to throw your hospitality back in your face. I apologize," I tell him lightly, trying hard to look meek before his angry eyes.

It must work because he sighs and rakes a hand through his tousled dark blonde hair. I stare at him with hopeful eyes. No matter how unwelcome I may feel here, it's nothing compared to my old home. I realize fiercely that I don't want to leave. I have possibilities unexplored here: a possible friendship with Lailani and a chance at belonging somewhere that doesn't force me to maim people on a daily basis.

"Fine," Dax snaps with noticeably less anger, "you can stay but if you break the rules again so help me God you will be out of here before you have a chance to open your mouth."

Relief floods through me as my shoulders sag. Thank you, thank you, thank you, I mentally cry. I nearly hug him but decide against it, seeing how much he still dislikes me. I start to thank him but stop when a small hand tugs on the hem of my jacket.

I look down in surprise at Anabel's wide blue eyes, then back up to Dax. He looks annoyed but doesn't say anything so I take his silence as permission.

"Yes, Anabel?" I ask quietly, wondering what on earth the little girl would want to talk to me about. Especially now that she saw me get reamed by Archer's buddy, Dax.