Fernando Torres

For @LucyReus 

In which you make a deal.

***

You tapped your pen against your notepad as you sat amongst the other reporters in the packed conference room. You worked as a reporter for Marca TV, and you were sent to Atlético Madrid's press conference to write a pre-game report.

The room was completely full when Diego Simeone, Diego Godín, and Fernando Torres entered the room. As the players and coach sat down, the reporters quickly scrambled in preparation to take notes.

You started jotting down notes as Simeone spoke with full confidence of his players. You wrote ferociously as Godín gave a speech on the importance of believing in each other. It was the Atlético motto; never stop believing.

Finally, it was Fernando's turn to speak. He spoke of the rise of Atlético throughout the last decade. He mentioned their years spent in the Segunda Liga, their rise in the ranks of the first division, and finally, their recent appearances in the Champions League. As Fernando concluded his speech, Simeone announced that they were now open to take questions.

"How will the best defensive team compare to the best attacking team?" the reporter in front of you asked.

"The match is against Barcelona at home. We expect them to play with their usual style. They'll be at their best and we will be at ours," Simeone replied.

"Looking at his past performance, what made you decide to start Torres the other strikers?" another reporter asked. You couldn't believe that the woman had the nerve to ask such a question when Fernando was present.

"I think he is the right player to start against Barcelona. I have full trust in Fernando and the rest of the team," Simeone replied calmly. "Last question?"

"You have a habit of scoring against Barcelona. How do you see your chances in this upcoming match?" you asked Fernando.

"It is my dream to win the Champions League with Atlético. We will be looking for a win if not at least an away goal," Fernando replied with a smile.

With his reply, the press conference comes to a close. As the reporters scamper towards the exit, you stay put, deciding to wait for the crowd to dispense before exiting the room. You take your time packing away your things.

"Hello miss. I haven't seen you before. Are you new?" said a voice from behind you.

You gasp as you turn around to see Fernando Torres standing there. You had thought that he would have left through the back along with his coach and teammate.

"I'm filling in for David. He called in sick today. I usually write the reports and interview the players in the Segunda division," you answered, mumbling out the last bit as you realized that you were rambling. He probably didn't care, you thought to yourself.

"Well, it's nice to see a fresh face," he reassured. "In fact, how about we make a little wager?"

"On what?" you asked in surprise.

"If I score against Barcelona tomorrow, you'll go on a date with me," replied Fernando with a smile.

You were pretty sure that your jaw had hit the floor by now. Hiding your shock, you nod in approval and reply confidently.

"Is that so? Barcelona is a strong team," you say with a coy smile. He laughed in response.

"We'll just see about that.

*

The next day, you wake up full of excitement as you scramble to prepare for the game. You had spent all of last night finding the perfect outfit to wear to the game. You smile to yourself as you get dressed and apply some makeup before heading out the door.