Chapter 32: A distant memory from the past

She remembered, being born in a small village in the east of Kou, to a loving and gentle mother and a wise father. She had a grandmother in addition, and was showered with love and affection throughout her childhood. The villagers loved her like their own, and she had many friends to play with, often climbing trees in the forest or playing hide and seek in the paddy fields. To simply put it, she led a happy life during the first five years of her life. She was allowed to do anything as long as it was right, but she only had one restriction, to never take off the gems embedded on her wrists.

The joy only added more with the news of a new younger sibling.

" Ran, sweetie, soon you'll be a big sister. " Her mother had told her one day.

" Really, mom? I'm going to be a big sister? Finally! I've been waiting for this! " Ecstatic as she can be, the five-year-old her pranced around the room, leaping in joy before returning to sit on her mother's lap.

" Will it be a girl or a boy? " She eagerly asked, earning a chuckled from the mother.

" We don't know yet, little lady. But whatever gender your sibling might be, you'll still love him or her, no? " Her father came up on them, ruffling the girl's head and affectionately giving her mother a kiss.

" Gross! Mom, Dad! Do that in a place where I can't see you! " She shielded her eyes, groaning in disgust.

" Oh, you'll do it too once you're a grown-up, dearest. You may think of it as gross now, but I can bet that you'll do it too once you have a boyfriend- " Her grandmother came up, wiggling her eyebrows.

" Mother! Ran is too young to be told of things like this, " Her father interjected, not wanting his daughter to know too much of the subject before she reaches of age.

" Ooh, shut it, sonny. She needs to understand that what you were doing is an act of affection, " Her grandmother argued, tapping a finger onto her son's chest.

" But still- " This kind of argument often happened, her father and grandmother bickering over the most trivial things. Yet, they weren't serious, it mostly was a playful argument.

She smiled, softly carressing her mother's flat stomach.

'Can't wait to see you, little one!' She inwardly giggled, feeling all giddy and excited to be a sister.

A tiny yellow bird flitted across her sight, making her grin from ear to ear.

**************

But her joy was all for naught, as her mother entered her third month of pregnancy, she had been called by her grandmother, and was told of a request.

" Ran, listen to me. You are a special child, and serves as an important role in this world. I... It... It's hard for me to ask you of this... but.. " Her grandmother trailed off, leaving her hanging.

" But what, grandmother? Is it something you can't say? " She could sense the hesitance and fear in her grandmother's voice.

" Somewhere out there is an organization called 'Al-Thamen', and they seek for people just like you. You are gifted with an ability that they are after. And it seems they have been able to sense your presence lately. What I'm saying is.. " She sucked in her breath, anticipating her grandmother's next words.

" I need you to leave the village, Ran. " The words rained down on her like a ton of bricks.

" Leave... the village? " Her breath hitched, and hung her head low. Dread immediately pooled in her stomach.