Chapter 24: Her candidates

" It's been a while, honorable magi. " The djinn bowed down upon seeing her figure.

" Magi? What are you talking about? " The girl tilted her head, staring back at the djinn with a confused look.

" You did call me by my name, did you not? " The djinn with the head of a dragon, body of an ox, and hooves like a horse replied.

" Just kidding! I did, though. It was to make sure that you were the real thing, instead of having to deal with fakes. " Ran sighed, noticing that the djinn was still on his knees.

" ....Please don't kneel in front of me, Buer. As of now, I'm nothing but a magician from Kou-no, I'm currently just an ordinary girl. I no longer hold any important position like I used to.... I'm not 'me' anymore. I'm just a normal human, like those who entered your dungeon with me. So just adress me by my given name, 'Ran'. " Ran implied, placing her right hand across her chest.

" But you are different from the rest of the humans, magi. You do realize that you bear an important mission, don't you? " The djinn asked, circling around the girl, his hooves creating clopping noises.

" That goes without saying. Well, no matter how much I try to deny or hide the truth, I still a magi, huh. That's a fact I could never change. And my mission.... The world that man desperately tried to protect, I will definitely ensure that it doesn't fall to Al-Thamen's hands once again. " Clenching her knuckles tightly, Ran almost felt that she had ripped the skin of her hand.

Noticing the girl's inner conflict, he decided to change the topic of their conversation.

" Those two men you brought with you... I assume they are your king candidates? " Buer created a screen in front of them, which showed the brothers, dealing with their trials.

" I-No. Not at all, they still haven't possessed any djinn on them. I just happen to guide them into this dungeon. " The red-eyed girl watched the scene unfold through the screen, watching their progress. Her eyes were covered by her fringes.

" So you are planning to, then. Don't be shy, they look quite handsome too. I must say, they look like promising candidates, especially that man. " Buer raised his front hoof at the part showing Hakuyuu. Ran wryly smiled, taking one last look at Hakuyuu before Buer made the screen disappear.

" W-What? I didn't bring them here just because they were handsome! I ain't the type to pick men based on their looks, you stupid Kilin[1]! " Ran denied the djinn's statement, her face looked like it was on fire. She never even dared to think of such an idea ever since meeting them. Not to mention she doesn't have any special feelings for either of them. Though, she had to admit they earned a lot of meaningful stares from the girls back in her village.

" Very convincing, Ran, very convincing. Speaking of which, magi, how are you doing in this world? Have you been well? " Buer plopped himself on the floor, followed by Ran.

" Well, as far as now, I'm doing fine. I mean, I've been exploring the world for the past 8 years of my life, going to various places, though not as crazy as how Sinbad-san did. And as I've told you before, I was born in Kou. In a village far in the eastern territory of the country. I lived there until I was five, when my grandmother told me to explore the world. My mother was pregnant with my younger sibling at that time. I never got to see him or her, though. " Buer's tail stopped swishing when she said so.

" Al-Thamen meddled into this matter, didn't they? " The beast had a grave look on his face, locking eyes with the girl.

His suspicion was confirmed the moment Ran nodded.

" Yes. After I came back from my journey, I returned to my village, only to see ruins. It was all that was left of my village. Skeletons were lying about, and the houses looked completely abandoned. Over the past few years, I've learned about the organization, and now, I think I understood why my grandmother told me to go off on a journey, " to protect me from Al-Thamen's clutches. She explained, folding her arms.

" I have a question, Ran. How were you able to conceal your identity as a magi? You are someone who is very much loved by the rukh, and other fellow magicians are able to see your rukh. It would impossible altogether for them not to realize that you are a magi as well. " Buer reasoned, raising an eyebrow.

" That's pretty simple! I never use my magic except in grave situations, and I rarely trained myself-I mostly rely on my physical strength compared to magic! That should be it, right? " Ran cheerfully pointed out, making the djinn sigh.

The girl was as dense as always.

" That doesn't sound logical enough for me. But putting that aside, has Al-Thamen discovered that you are a magi? " Ran shook her head.

" Nope. I was playing low key back in Kou, and I've only been there in the past year, so, no. " Buer was skeptical, yet he did not press the matter any further before opening his mouth to speak.

" Though, what I said before was all just a joke. I'm not as dense as you think I am, Buer. Of course, as a safety precaution, my grandmother had embedded something in both of my wrists to prevent me from using the rukh surrounding me. I've actually forgotten about them, before you mentioned about it. And no, Al-Thamen has not discovered my existence as a magi. " Ran glanced at the bandages wrapped on her arms, which extends from her wrists up to her elbows.

" I see. I assume your travels around the world has an aid in hiding your identity, no? But are you going to reveal that you are a magi to the world? Will you choose your king? " Ran smiled, leaving Buer bewildered.

" I might, or might not. If I happen to reveal my identity as a magi to the world, they'll try to make me their ally, or pull me into their nation forcefully, which means more meaningless bloodshed. I don't want that to happen. And to answer your second question, who knows? I might choose my king as I like, it depends on the person, actually. " Ran shrugged, a mischievous smirk plastered on her face.

" I see. Then, have you... "

In front of the Djinn of Wisdom and Logic, she felt nostalgic memories coming back to her. Of that man... that world, and its inhabitants.. the peaceful world it used to be... she missed them all.

************

[1] Kilin- a mythical creature of Chinese folklore that has the head of a dragon, body of an ox, and hooves of a horse. It is usually seen in wedding dresses or ornaments in ancient China, believed to ensure that married couples would have plenty of children.

P.S.: I used this since the Kou empire has some resemblance to China in ancient times, so I created a djinn of the sort, according to Chinese folklore ^a^

And.... yeah! The truth is out! Ran's a magi, though, details will be elucidated further in the upcoming chapters. I won't spoil anything for now, cos' you'll have to find out in the upcoming chapters! See you!

Setsuna.