Chapter 15: 'Small' talks

" ...Then the man pressed a spear on my neck, and said, ' If you don't run, I'll kill you right here, right now!' " Ran said, emphasizing on some of the words to create tension in the air.

" And then?! What happened?! " Sharrkan eagerly asked, his eyes practically gleaming with excitement.

" And I said, ' I don't care, I'll just have to fight you to death! ' Then I swung my sword to his neck, slightly grazing it-and, oh... they're asleep already, " She chuckled, observing their sleeping figures.

It had been an hour since she started telling her adventures during her childhood, the two had fallen asleep due to fatigue. Pulling the covers over their small frames, Ran slipped into the bed beside Masrur, preparing to go to bed as well, but froze when a hand held her arm.

" Ran. " The smooth voice rang in her ears, giving her a sense of familiarity.

" Yuuichi-san. " Ran turned around, facing the man.

" Can we talk for a while? I have something to ask you. " It perked Ran's curiosity, as Hakuyuu led her out of the room and went to his instead.

*********

"... So, what did you want to talk about, Yuuichi-san? " Ran sat on the edge of the bed, facing the man who had taken off his mask once they arrived in his room.

" Tell me, Ran. Do dungeons grant unimaginable power that normal humans could attain? " A serious glint flashed across his eyes, boring straight into hers.

" They do. But to great power, there comes a risk as well. A lot of people have gone into dungeons and didn't survive, or they weren't able to get out. Many yearn for that great power-you could even singlehandedly destroy an army if you want to. The djinn would only acknowledge that person as its capturer after passing the trial they give, and I certainly bet it won't be easy. Is something the matter, Yuuichi-san? Why are you suddenly asking about this? " Ran inquired, shuffling her feet.

" No, it's.. nothing. It's just been bothering me since quite a while ago, and asking you about this eases my worries. I think that's all, you can leave if you want to, Ran. Good- "

" Please don't play dumb with me, Yuuichi-san. " Strutting forward, she approached the man, her gaze still on the ground.

" You may think I'm pretty naïve, but at this point, it's pretty obvious that you also want to conquer a dungeon. " Pointing a finger at him, it made the man speechless, before his lips curled into a small smile, softly staring into the girl's eyes.

" And what if I do? What does it have to do with you, Ran? That won't change anything. I need this power, in order to regain something I lost. " He pushed her hand away, but Ran had a tight grip around his arm, not loosening it in the slightest.

" Three months. " She finally looked up, her red orbs meeting his dark blue ones.

The look on the latter's face made it clear that he did not understand what she meant.

"Give me three months. I'll find an excuse for you and Rentei-san to conquer a dungeon, and guide you there myself. " Disbelief cracked itself onto Hakuyuu's face, still dumbstruck at her sudden proclamation.

" Are you- "

The door was suddenly flung open, revealing Hakuren who had misunderstood their position. Ran had her hand on Hakuyu's left arm, while her other arm was beside his face, his back pressing against the wall. It would be easy for someone to misunderstand of their current situation.

" Aniue, which bed will I sleep on-woah! Oh my god, I'm so sorry for bothering the two of you! I'll go sleep at Ja'far's tonight! " He slammed the door shut as fast as he opened it, dumbfounded stares coming from the pair.

" What was that all about? " Ran sighed, quietly letting out a yawn.

" Beats me. Perhaps he was drunk. " Hakuyuu shrugged, eyeing the door. There would probably be rumors about them by tomorrow morning.

" Anyway, Ran, " He heard no reply from the girl, who had fallen asleep on his bed. Hakuren said he was going to sleep at Ja'far's, so it wouldn't hurt to have her sleep on his room, would it?

Soflty laying her down on the plush mattress, he pulled the covers above her chest, and ruffled her hair. The girl had reminded the former prince of his younger sister, Hakuei. The two girls resembled each other so badly, it had took Hakuyuu his all not to hug the girl after getting a clear look at her face.

" I appreciate your efforts, Ran. But you won't understand what I've been through. I really need this power.. in order to restore my country, to rid Kou of that witch, to protect my younger siblings... Forgive me for dragging you into our country's affair, a girl your age should be living carefreely, marry into a fine family, and lead a normal life. Yet here you are, getting swept into mine and Ren's problems. I'm really sorry, Ran. I will repay you someday, once I regain my position in Kou. " As the true successor of the previous Kou emperor. He silently added, not wanting to reveal his identity to the girl yet. It had been a year, but he had considered it too early to do so. After all, there were ears everywhere, those Al-Thamen goons could've found them during the time they were gone.

Releasing the bun that secured his hair, he sighed, and climbed onto the unoccupied bed next to Ran's.

" Good night, Ran. " Hakuyuu whispered, blowing the candle by the table off.