Chapter V pt. 1

What exactly are you, Skersha? The girl asked absently, bored of her chores, but too afraid of Silas to leave them undone. On a normal day, she would have never asked the question, but she could sense that Skersha was equally bored. Being within a twenty mile radius of Zeilla was not too bad when the girl was in the city, but out in the woods, it was as good as being chained to her day and night. She did not feel like tormenting Zeilla, as she could injure the frail thing, and have to heal her later. But she was also bored of killing squirrels in her wolf form. So instead, she answered her question.
​I am a wolf. It was the truth, but Skersha intentionally said it in a way that would make Zeilla ask more questions.
​If you're a wolf, then I'm a princess, Skersha. Wolves do not have magic powers or the ability to read minds.
​True. But I never said that I was just a wolf. I simply said that it is what I am.
​Zeilla begun to understand what game Skersha was playing, if not the rules.
​So, you're a wolf, but something more?
​Exactly.
​Zeilla thought about this for a moment, phrasing her next question carefully.
​Are you a magical wolf, Skersha?
​I have nothing to do with those horrid creatures, Zeilla.
​But... you do have magic?
​You call it that. I prefer to call it Energy.
​Zeilla nodded, taking in Skersha's answer. She continued whittling away at the arrow as she thought. The she-wolf gave her time, knowing that Zeilla's problem solving attention was focused on her, also knowing that reading her mind would distract her.
​Where does your Energy come from?
​Skersha grinned, enjoying toying with Zeilla, and knowing that she was getting closer.
​It comes from your emotions. The more you feel, the more power I have.
​A connection sparked in Zeilla's mind. Is that why you hurt me so often? So that I feel that grief?
​That is the biggest reason. Although it is also really fun. Skersha laughed. It's like eating, if you did not have to, would you do it anyway?
​Zeilla sighed. Of course Skersha would do it anyway. There were more ways to make Zeilla feel than punishing her. Well, she thought so at least. Happiness seemed like it could be a pretty strong emotion. But then again, she really had no firsthand experience with it.
​If you're 'simply a wolf' then how can you can appear as a human?
​Skersha laughed. The operative word there being 'appear', girl.
​So you're not really there? But that can't be true, I've seen you touch and move things. You can't just be in my head, other people can talk to you!
​You're getting there, girl. Skersha said this appreciatively, glad that she wasn't stuck with too much of an idiot. I use Energy to make myself seen, and to move things.
​I thought that you didn't like using it.
​It takes an extremely minimal amount. Talking to someone and moving a chair takes about as much effort and energy as it would for you to actually do it. While forcing thoughts out of your mind and healing you is like running a ten mile race.
​Ahh, I see. Zeilla considered this. Skersha, if you wanted to, what would be the most power-draining thing you could do to me?
​For a moment, Skersha hesitated, and Zeilla was sure that she wouldn't answer her.
​The thing that I have found that takes up the most Energy and effort, is activating your nervous system. All of it, at once.
​What is that, Skersha? I mean, what's my nervous system?
​It's the part of your body that makes you feel things. As in, your sense of touch. When I activate it all, you are put through the worse pains you could ever be. All at once. However, if I do it for more than four seconds, your body starts releasing a chemical that makes you not feel it anymore. Zeilla sat there, whittling away at the arrow, and thinking about this. She was certain that Skersha had never done that to her, but if so, how did she know what would happen if she did?
​Skersha, have you ever done that to me before?
​The wolf laughed. If I'd done it to you, you would have known it. I simply know this because in order to cause you pain, I have to touch your nervous system in exactly the right way. Which brings me to this, I'm bored. Would you like me to try it out on you now?
​Zeilla couldn't tell if this was a joke or not. No! I don't!
​Are you sure?
​Yes!
​Alright then. But I'm still bored.
​Zeilla blinked, mystified. Uhh, well, you could help me with my chores and then we could do something together?
​Like what?
​We could play chess on my stolen chess board?
​Yes, but it would be too easy. I can read your mind.
​Zeilla blinked, mystified. Then just don't read my mind. It'll be nice to have you not prying into my every thought and dissecting them, for a while. Wasn't that always an option? Was it really so far from her mind that Skersha didn't even consider it?
​For your information, I did think about it. Zeilla doubted that. I did!
​Okay, okay. You did. So will you get out of my mind for just a bit so we can play chess together?
​Humph, alright then.
​Will you help me with my chores? They'll go faster.
​The wolf thought about this for a moment. I don't know how to whittle arrows. Do you have anything more... manual for me to do?
​Well, you could always clean Silas's stables.
​No.
​But-
​No.
​Alright already, why don't you make his bed and when you're done I'll check your work. Can you do that?
​Yes, I can do that.
​Zeilla nodded, and Skersha flitted into Silas's bedroom. Finishing the arrow, Zeilla picked up another of the sticks she had gathered, and started whittling that one. Silas usually demanded about thirteen or so arrows. He liked to have at least ten when he was finished hunting, and he usually broke a few of them when he pulled them out of the animal carcass. That, or just lost them.