{Observation 8: The Valkyries}

On the day that Erika and Hana split off from Lucy, Hana said this to Erika the moment they arrived back at their base.

"Let's take the day off tomorrow."

It was so sudden, just as sudden as Lucy's betrayal, that Erika was slightly taken aback.

That didn't mean she couldn't see where Hana was coming from; after all that had happened, she wasn't exactly feeling up to doing anything strenuous.

Hana, however, didn't want the day off because she needed the break.

Lucy lied to us.

Her mind was racing.

The man known to them as Phoenix was staying at the comic book store, and Lucy wasn't stupid; there was no way she would have overlooked whether or not someone had been staying there.

Not only that, but the comic books on the floor she mentioned previously were not covered in dust like she had stated.

Finally, there was the fact that Phoenix was alert and ready by the time they had arrived there.

She could only determine that he was forewarned by Lucy somehow, using one of her clever trinkets.

She couldn't think of what it could possible be, but Lucy usually came up with many unique and interesting tools.

Among the things she made was a speaker-like thing that could allow people to talk a large distance away.

Unfortunately, most of them were burned in a fire that had accidentally started in their old base a few months back, so their current base had little in the way of Lucy's inventions.

So, if she had made another one of those communication devices, then she did so without informing her close friends.

"...She said that she would have betrayed us anyways."

Hana spoke the words bitterly, realizing they were true.

Of course, the reason for said Phoenix being aware of their arrival had nothing to do with Lucy, but Hana hadn't yet realized the potential of Ruri learning things from the spirits.

(Oh, and as for how the spirits got back to Ruri in time before the Valkyries visited, despite having Erika's power, it was partially in thanks to Lucy insisting that they go over a plan, aka, stalling them.)

(Of course, I'm narrating regardless of whether there are brackets or not, but I figure this is a more effective way of saying "Hey, I'm speaking directly to you, the observer.)

Erika didn't bother responding to Hana's words, having come to the same conclusion as her; Lucy had met with Phoenix and was going to help him out from the very start.

Hana had made her way, alone, to the room they used for planning, and sat down on one of the chairs.

"Does she really think that everything we've been through has all been one big lie?"

Hana spoke slowly and harshly, her lips trembling as she thought back to when they had first met.

* * * * *

As far as Hana's memories were concerned, they all met when they were within the chosen.

Hana's parents had been part of the chosen and she was born into the group without much of a choice.

She grew up learning about how she was special; about how herself and other mutants like her were destined to wipe out the lowly normals and claim the city that was rightfully theirs.