{Observation 6: Obligatory explanation and cliffhanger}

"Get up!"

Laurence awoke, startled as Ruri pulled him up and out of his bed.

Normally, he would have noticed the heavy shuffling of feet coming towards him, but he was out like a light on this particular night.

Perhaps it was because of all that had happened?

Either way, as he looked confused at Ruri, he noticed that she had a serious look on her face.

"Lucy and the valkyries are on their way here; I asked a spirit to tail her and it seems I was right to do so."

Laurence frowned and walked out of the room with Ruri, into the hallway where Thomas and Birdy were standing with sleepy, yet grim expressions.

"There's no time to argue; we'll leave the store and you should remain here for them. Hana wants to talk to you."

"Have we been betrayed?"

Laurence was referring, of course, to whether Lucy had sold them out, but Ruri shook her head.

"No, but remember that this is supposedly the first time you're meeting her. Don't arouse suspicion from the other two and act as you would if you were surprised. Also-"

Ruri had the braces in her hand and gave it to Laurence, who quickly took them.

"-Put them on just in case. They'll be here any moment, so bye."

Ruri didn't even wait for a response and started pushing out Thomas and Birdy through the backdoor.

They didn't even bother complaining or ask for any more questions, as Ruri's fast-paced behaviour was already something that they had gotten used to.

Besides, if they had any questions, it would've been answered by Ruri outside of the store as they hid away.

Laurence sighed as they walked out the door and moved to the main store, attaching the braces to his limbs.

At the flicker of the familiar blue flame, Laurence looked at it with mixed emotions.

This was Yuna, her soul.

That being said, he had no time to think about that now, as he crouched behind the counter, awaiting the visitors.

If he were to act as though this were unexpected, then he felt it would've been right to be guarded, as though he thought they were enemies.

He waited there, watching the front door with anticipation, but-

"What the hell!?"

-the group of girls had appeared right before his very eye, materializing just above the floor.

Lucy hadn't quite explained the powers of each of her comrades, so this came as a genuine surprise to Laurence.

His eyes immediately locked onto Erika, as he knew this was the first thing he needed to do.

Then, he slowly blinked, a little flame being thrown out from his braces; each small movement with the purpose to show surprise.

"...Erika?"

Laurence spoke the word with as much confusion as he could muster, but he didn't lower his guard.

The small, blonde haired girl, who fit Lucy's earlier description of Hana, stepped forward.

"Calm yourself. We haven't come to fight."

Laurence looked to Hana, then back to Erika and finally, Lucy, who gave an apologetic look when she was certain the other two weren't looking.