Chapter 16: Freaks and Proud

Start from the beginning

He didn't know how long they flew like this before they landed on a beautiful hill. The moon seemed bigger here, almost like magic. "Luna, where are we?"

"Somewhere happy," Luna replied with a hum. She looked off longingly at the moon. She knew she would be better off there, no one to look at her or mock her. Free to be Luna. But...

Luna looked down and saw Harry staring at her, not paying the moon any attention. Luna suddenly felt like scolding herself for even thinking about the moon. The moon was missing the very thing she had been missing her whole life. He was here for her, no matter what. For the first time it dawned on her what Harry was risking by standing by her side. He was willing to risk his life, if not die for her!

Luna ran into Harry's arms caching him by surprise as they tumbled to the ground. "Harry, I'm sorry but I think I lied to you. When I said I loved you on the Astronomy tower, I don't think I meant it. I love you now though, more than ever. What I felt that night seems hollow now. I feel..."

Luna drifted off as she contemplated the change she was feeling before replying, "Different."

Harry understood. "What were you thinking just now...before you attacked me"

Luna giggled, "I realized how much you where risking to stand by me through all this. You would die for me wouldn't you?"

Harry nodded as Luna kissed his cheek. "I would too, for you. I'm not going anywhere without you. I would follow you through the veil if I had to..."

Luna felt goosebumps run through her as she snuggled closer to Harry. "No, now I love you Harry."

Harry smiled warmly, as he whispered sadly. "It's not the Nargles taking your magic, it's this."

Harry began to explain what he had learned from Luna's father. The more he spoke the more Luna seemed to relax. "That is definitely most curious Harry."

"What are you going to do Luna?"

"I'm going to look at my mother's notes and go from there. I'm not going to except this information father told you without proof. I will not choose between my magic and my love."

They sat in silence for a while before Harry spoke "You've changed you know, you're not the same girl I met on the Hogwarts express those three years ago. You're not even the same girl I found on top of the train."

"You have changed too Harry, You have become far more happy and comfortable. You even teach DADA with a playful swagger I find most amusing." Luna hummed.

"I never really noticed, I guess it's because I don't have the weight of being the chosen one anymore. I can finally just be Harry."

"That's just the thing, I remember the exact moment you changed." Luna spoke as she turned to Harry. "At the end of the battle when you faced down Mr. Riddle."

Luna saw a hint of recognition in his eyes as she pressed on. "One moment everyone thought you were dead, the next you were standing in the middle of the Great hall staring down Voldemort. I recognized it right away, you were confident, no you were more. You already knew you were going to win. You were taunting him, calling him Tom. I found it quite amusing seeing Mr. Riddle get so worked up. You had a bounce to your step that most would miss. You looked like someone who just had a huge weight lifted from their shoulders."

Harry couldn't help but stare into Luna's all seeing eyes. How much did she know? Luna answered his unasked question when she lifted her finger to his scar. She traced the scar, not taking her eyes off his own as she spoke. "People know the scar faded with the death of Mr. Riddle, but I saw it during the final standoff. It had already faded."