The Scroll

Naruto took a deep breath and slowly walked into the room that would determine his fate. He noticed Iruka and Mizuki sitting next to a desk. The Uzumaki gulped as he stood around 10 feet from the desk.

Iruka nodded at Iruka. "Alright Naruto you know what you need to do to pass: create three identical clones."

Naruto smirked and nodded. He made some hand signs as he summoned an immense amount of chakra. He closed his eyes then opened them wide. "CLONE JUTSU!"

A large amount of white smoke surrounded Naruto as he used the clone jutsu. He used up almost all his chakra in this one jutsu, pushing himself to the edge of his abilities in attempt to pass the exam.

Iruka's eyes widened in shock as he saw an identical clone appear from the slowly disappearing smoke. "Naruto you..." His amazement was quickly changed into disappointment as the other two clones emerged from the cloud of smoke and fell to the ground.

Naruto's smirk was still plastered on his face as he looked at his successful clone until he slowly looked down at the two failed clones. His eyes widen in horror. "N-no! This still counts right Iruka-sensei? I still made three clones."

Mizuki glanced at all of the three clones then turned his attention towards Iruka. "Naruto is right Iruka. He still managed to make three clones so I could count as a pass."

Iruka shook his head in reply to both Naruto and Mizuki. "No." He crossed his arms. "But the exam specifically states that to pass you need to create three IDENTICAL clones. Naruto only made one that was identical."

Naruto's Sensei looked down at the child's disappointed face. "I'm sorry Naruto, I really do want to pass you however I can't. It wouldn't be fair on the others in the academy. Also, it could consequently lead to your life being in danger if you were put on missions and you weren't ready to be a Genin yet."

Naruto sighed. He had trained so much for this moment and he didn't even get a pass. He looked down to the ground in desolation. "I understand..." He slid his hands into his pockets and walked out of the room.

*

Naruto gently swung on the swing close to the academy as he looked at all of his classmates who had all graduated. He gently kicked the ground with his shoe. "It's not fair... I trained as hard as anyone else that passed..."

Naruto noticed his mother walking into the academy grounds. He quickly got off the swing and put on a fake smile as his mother found him and walked over to him. "H-hey mom."

The red haired mother grinned widely and crouched down to her son. "So... Is my baby boy a genin now?"

Naruto blushed slightly and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah of course I am mom... I passed. I made three identical clones." He swallowed hard as he lied through his teeth. He couldn't bring himself to tell his energetic, hopeful mother the truth.

Kushina picked up her child and gave him a big warm hug. "Ohh I'm so proud of you Naruto! I just knew you would pass!" She looked at him a little confused. "But where's your ninja headband?"

The yellow haired Uzamaki's eyes widened as he quickly thought up of another lie. "O-oh I'm getting it later. Iruka Sensei is getting me ramen in a few minutes then giving me my headband since he's so proud of me... Heheh."

Kushina smiled warmly and carefully placed Naruto back on the floor. "Oh, I see. You impressed him that much? Well I'll let you go get your ramen" she winks. "But don't be out to long. I have a feeling your father will be home early to celebrate that you're finally a real ninja."

Naruto nodded and quickly ran off. "Yeah. Seeya later mom." He ran behind the academy building and sighed gently as he slumped against the wall and looked down to the ground. There was no way he could keep this lie up for very long.