Chapter 5

Josh's pov:
When those boys called Tyler a faggot, my head got completely filled with white-hot rage. I know it was a stupid idea to say that to the most popular guys at school, but it just pissed me off.

It got me wondering though. Is Tyler straight? It's none of my business, but still.

When we got to the library I was quiet at first, then Tyler spoke.

"Thanks for what you did back there. You didn't have to do that." He looked so surprised when I stood up for him. He didn't think I would do something like that. I wonder why

"No problem. They were being dicks. Ignorant dicks." I continue eating my lunch and try to put the question that's killing me out of my mind. It doesn't work.

"J-just out of...curiosity....are...is..." I take a deep breath. "Are you straight?" He doesn't look surprised that I'm asking, but it still makes me feel bad for asking. I try to save myself by saying "N-not that it's any of my business, but I just-"

"No its fine. I get it." Tyler interrupts me. "I'm gay. I just hope that it doesn't put a wrench in our...hopefully friendship." He looks so cute and vulnerable and midbaosjwonaisq jk slq9w Kopp d kill me.

I smile. He's not straight. I stand a chance. I mean, not that he would ever want someone like me, but still. It's something.
"Why are you smiling?" He says while laughing slightly. I come out of my trance and back into reality.

"No reason...it's just I thought that this school would be the place where everyone was too scared to come out if they were part of the LGBT community." I say, trying to save myself.

He laughs. "Not that I really had a choice. I came out to one person and she told everyone and now everyone hates me." He tells me all about the situation he likes to call "the Jenna thing" after Pretty Little Liars of course.

After laughing for a little bit, Tyler asks the question I was scared he would ask. "So...what about you. Are you straight or...?"

I feel my face heat up and look at my shoes. I don't know if I feel ready to come out to him. I just don't really trust him yet. Which is crazy because he's pretty much the only friend I've ever really had. Wow that's sad.

"Don't worry about it. You don't have to tell me. You can tell me when you're ready. I don't want to rush you." Tyler came to my rescue.

"Thank you." I said in a tiny voice. The bell rang and we got up to go to class.