Chapter Twenty-Three - "Open And Shut And Open"

Sarah

He slowly undid the buttons on my blouse, a small lascivious smile on his face.

“You’re so beautiful,” he breathed, as he trailed kisses down the nape of my neck.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and let him push me against the wall. My mind was buzzing with excitement, as were other parts of me.

I pulled down his pants as he ripped up what was left of my dress and threw it on the ground. He lifted me at the waist, so that my legs were wrapped around him, and as his hands explored my body, his fingers tugging here and there, I breathed, “Oh, Jake.”

He looked up and trailed his fingers across my lips. I grabbed the roots of his hair and pulled him down to kiss me. Furiously, passionately and with all the force of a car slamming into me, I felt the wall pressed harder against my back.

I let out a loud moan that would have woken up the neighbors, if not for one simple reason . . .

The alarm clock went off, and I woke up.

My heart was racing and the hairs on my body were standing; I groaned loudly and stuffed my head into my pillow, dreading the day ahead.

What bigger sign did I need to tell me that this was not going to be a good day?

I pulled on a striped midi skirt and a lace-back blouse, tied my hair into a high bun – desperately in need of a scalp massage – and did my face as best as I could, with the occasional distraction in between a slick of mascara, a puff of powder and a dab of blusher. My concentration on the smallest things was waning, and I felt dread rush through me as I thought of court.

Chloe was already in the middle of breakfast when I walked into the dining room.

“Morning Miss Sarah,” Consuela said, brushing past me in the hurry that she always seemed to be in.

“Morning,” Chloe repeated.

“Hey. Sleep well?”

“Yeah, actually. I did.”

I gave her a half-smile, as I poured myself far too much coffee. I turned on my phone – I’d gotten into the habit of turning it off through the night; it never seemed to stop ringing. Like clockwork, it buzzed – Katie.

“Hi,” I said, skipping the extra pleasantries.

“Morning. I just wanted to confirm that you’ll be at work today,” she said hesitantly. Ever since my behavior last week, she kept calling me everyday to confirm.

“Yeah.”

“James says he’s going to be late to court today, so you have to take first chair. Is there anything you’d like me to do?”

I groaned internally. Just like I suspected – it was all downhill from here.

“No, thanks. See you soon.”

I hung up to find Chloe staring at me curiously.

I gave her a questioning look, but she said nothing, and turned back to her cereal.

“So, I have something for you,” I said, reaching into my bag and pulling out the two prospectuses – Benjamin Fairless High School, my alma mater, and St. Andrews High School – the preppier version of mine.

I handed them to her and she gave me an amused look, “School?”

“Yeah. You mentioned it, and those are the best. If you are serious about it, you can start the day after tomorrow. They’re heading towards the end of their spring/summer semester – it’d be like an entrance test kind of thing, and you can make a few friends before you start properly in September. What do you think?”