Chapter Ten - "Incomplete"

Chloe

I couldn’t stop thinking about her.

My heart was in a frenzy, as was my mind, and I was suddenly unbelievably nervous. I sat curled up in my bed, unable to sleep and unable to stop my wandering mind.

What were you supposed to do when you found out that the person responsible for your existence was closer than you thought?

I’d never thought about it, but I suddenly felt like running. It wasn’t a reality I was ready to come to terms with.

I lay in bed for hours; my eyes were still wide open, and soon, the sun rose. I winced as the rays hit my eyes, and sat up slowly. Walking over to the window, I took in the view; I could see the beach and pier from where I stood; from my other window, I got a view of the front of the house, where the other half of the pier stood on stilts in front of the small river. There was somebody sitting on the edge, backing me; it looked like Trey, so I pulled on my sweater over my vest and shorts, slipped on my boots, and headed downstairs.

I slipped my hands into my pockets and trudged across the rocky footpath and over to where he was sitting, staring into the horizon, as if he was looking for something.

“Hey,” he said, looking up and shielding his eyes from the sun, “What are you doing up?”

I sat next to him, legs crossed, “Couldn’t sleep. You?”

“Me neither. What’s got you up?”

I shrugged, “Nothing. I was reading a book; I lost track of time,” I lied blatantly and surprisingly quickly. It wasn’t that I didn’t feel confident enough to confide in Trey; I just wasn’t ready to admit the mere fact to myself.

“Are you sure? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost,” he said.

I shrugged and bowed my head, “Yeah. When are you leaving?”

He sighed, “That. Tomorrow evening.”

“Are you looking forward to it?” I asked.

“Half and half,” he replied, “On the one hand, I feel like it’s about time I get away, you know; I would like a fresh start. On the other hand, I don’t really want to leave.”

“Me too,” I replied.

He smiled and threw an arm over my shoulder, “I’ll come back and visit. And we’ll talk – all the time. And you can come and visit too; just say the word and I’ll come get you.”

“Promise?”

“Yeah, of course. Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked, peering into my face questioningly.

I smiled, “Favorite book,” I said, non sequitur, continuing the game we played in the library, the day we became friends, “Isn’t it ironic? We were in a library and we couldn’t think of a single favorite book.”

He hugged me to himself for a second and let go, “I knew you’d do that. Okay. George Orwell’s ‘1984.’ I’m not big on reading, but that one sticks with me. Read it in high school. You and Fitch doing alright?”

“That’s not the theme, Trey. But yeah, we’re good. It was . . . nothing; I overreacted. Favorite place since this year begun.”

“This cabin. I’ve been sneaking over here since I got it back. It’s very serene. What’s yours?”

“I like Daisey’s. Back table in the corner; I can see everyone, but they can’t see me. I’m like a voyeur, but not completely. Favorite moment.”