Chapter One- End of Summer

Start from the beginning

"I didn't say anything. And please can you at least hand me an aspirin first? My head really hurts." I roared in pain when a sharp pang rose as if I'd been run over by a truck last night.

I'm never drinking again!!

Miracle did happen because she did what I said without further argument, but she made sure to keep the blanket at the edge of my queen size bed so I wouldn't be able to reach it.

Giving me one of mom's look, she rummaged through my dresser drawers and got hold of one thing in the world which I needed baldly in that moment.

She grabbed the glass of water from the side table and came towards me. "Obviously it will hurt, sweetheart. Especially, when a seventeen year old like you would stay out late partying  and consuming this much of alcohol, not to mention (then don't) absolutely forgetting about the school she has in the morning. It will hurt."

Jeez!!!! Seriously?  Please dear world swallow me.

Isn't she getting late for work or something?

"Mom, stop already! It was Justin's party for the end of summer! And please really drop the I care about you act. You too were at a party last night with dad. I'm not whining over it, am I?"

"Oh," She placed her hand on her chest with a touch of fake hurt, "This is how you talk to you mother now? What is this? Some kind of new teen trend? Disrespecting your parents."

My heart pounded a little faster. Maybe I did cross the line. Ughhhh!

"Yeah. I'm sorry." I accepted, already  exhausted for the day.

She glanced away and tried to bring some tears for dramatic affect but when they didn't come, she took a deep breath. "Michelle, even if I was at a party last night at least I'm awake and all dressed up unlike you. And, I definitely don't approve of the way you just attacked me. I thought we were doing better after you know..."

She's talking about the mother-daughter therapy sessions she insisted on taking few months ago when our relationship was on the verge of breaking. Long story...

Well not so much. We all have ups and downs in our families and just like that, I guess I had mine.

"Mom," I held her hand in mine and gave her my puppy look— hoping it might cool things off.

Struggling to find right words to say to cheer her up, I simply apologized, "I didn't mean that. I am really really sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just... you know, I'm hungover and I don't really know what I'm saying." I groaned and a small smile formed on her lips.

Thankgod!

I thought I would have to cut school and be here trying to be sorry for something I am actually not.

She stood up and straightened her knee length skirt. I took a good look at her and realised how similar we were and yet so different. Her blonde hair were made in a neat classy bun, her outfit was perfectly professional-- light blue button down shirt with a black blazer on top which ended short on her waist, a black pencil skirt and finally  finished her look with long black heels.

"Now, can I get some blueberry pancakes before I've to go to school? I think I am starving here." I mustered, with puppy eyes and she instantly nodded, standing up with a grin held onto her lips.

"Marissa had already prepared them for you. I'll see you at dinner, honey."

I nodded and then she left.

Grumbling profanities at the school authorities for having school at such an early hour, I climbed off the bed, stifling yet another yawn, and somehow managed to trudge towards my walk-in-closet.