Chapter 26. The End?

Start from the beginning

But, I hear Hermione shout and I look up. I see the Death Eaters and Voldemort disappearing into the distance. The couch takes them far away from here I'm sure. Far away that it'll be impossible for us to find them again.

The only thing to be heard now is Hermione's sobs and my own loud, shaky breathing. The stitches in my side start to throb with pain, and my leg is still bleeding profusely. My own eyes threaten to spill even more tears, but I try and be strong.

"Alice, are you alright?" Ron yells across the empty field, his voice cracking.

I close my eyes in pain. What are we to do? Are we going to die right here? Is this really how it's going to end? I'm going to bleed to death and they are going to die of starvation, or of insanity.

"I don't know," I shout back, as loud as my lungs will allow. With every breath I take, my entire body aches.

"Do you think you can-" Hermione starts to ask me, but she is interrupted.

"Whoever is out there, don't move!" Someone screams from in the trees.

I open my eyes. Who could that be? Maybe somebody to save us? I try to stand up, but the chain and my injuries keeps me to the ground.

"Help us! Please!" Hermione shouts, and Ron and Aaron join in.

In the distant, exactly where the Death Eater's port-key used to be, someone approaches. Their wand is lit and they take slow steps, approaching us.

Maybe if they set me free, I can find Voldemort and defeat him. I should be able to find him, since I still have the Dark Mark.

I hear Hermione gasp and she looks to Ron, with fear.

I squint to see who exactly the person is.

"Hello, who's there?" The person shouts.

Through the darkness, the only thing still giving off light beside the moon, is the Dark Mark. But, I gasp, repeating Hermione's reaction.

Rufus Scrimgeour. The Minister of Magic.

He holds his wand out, and far off, I see at least a hundred other wands lit at the ends.

"State your name!" He screams, as soon as he spots me.

Fear takes over the hopefulness in my chest. I haven't done anything wrong, so why should I be worried?

"Alice Magdalen Rhowen." I state, feeling out of breath. My hands shake, causing the chain to ring out a very odd sounding bell.

Now it's his turn to let fear take over his features.

"Do not move, Ms. Rhowen," He warns me and he points his wand to the sky, shooting off a bright red spark.

Then, his attention is brought to the others tied up to the tree. He looks to me, concern wrapped up with the fear.

He takes a step towards them, and I feel a little relieved. He uses his wand to break the chain bounding them to the bough of the tree. Ron catches Harry before he could hit the ground.

"Is he...?" Mr. Scrimgeour asks Ron, shakily, not even able to finish his sentence.

"Unconscious? Yes. Dead? Not yet," Ron answers gruffly.

Ron sets Harry down on the ground, gently. Then, he turns to look at me. Seeing him as bloodied up as he is, gives me a slight idea as to how horrible I must look. He takes a step towards me, but Mr. Scrimgeour stops him.

"Please, don't take another step towards her. She's highly dangerous," He warns Ron.

"Dangerous?" Ron asks, taken back.