What Is Real? (RE-VAMPED)

Another day here and I'm getting restless. I just want to go back to my old life. It seems like this is the cruel reality now, or one hell of a dream.

"Good morning." A smooth voice calls out to me, "Ma?" I ask, sitting up from my new bed. "Yes, your chores have been assigned for the day." Ma hands me a scroll of papyrus. Looking at it, it's in a foreign dialect, "Uh-"

"No need, I'll read it for you." Ma snatches the papyrus from me as I stand up to get dressed.

"Wear the white one with the black and gold collar." Ma says, "What?"

"That's what the papyri says." Ma points out the correct dress in my new wardrobe, I pull it out - feeling the soft cotton-like fabric. I sigh, it's more beautiful than any dress I've ever worn in Domino City.

"Ma-Kemat will do your makeup." Ma pauses after reading more of the day's instructions, "Oh my... He really wants you looking like a goddess." She flips her hair confidently and I snicker, taking time to admire the embroidery of the dress' collar.

I turn and hold the dress out in front of me and Ma-Kemat, "Gorgeous, isn't it?" she comments, placing a hand on her hip, her tall figure almost towering over me.

"How the hell can I pull this off?" My eyebrows wrinkle, wondering if what I'm feeling is discomfort or anger. Ma rolls her eyes before snatching the dress from my hands and motioning for me to take off my nightgown. My eyes widen but I do as she wishes, until I'm basically nude in front of her.

Embarrassed, I try to cover myself with my ligaments before Ma throws the dress on top of me and asks me to raise my arms. Once I do so she doesn't even flinch before dressing me as if I'm a child. Then she points to a mirror in the corner of the room. Wow, I didn't even notice that was there.

I slowly step towards the mirror to admire the body-hugging dress and twirl around in it. The fabric flows around my ankles whilst it hugs around my thighs and knees. A perfect mermaid silhouette stands before the mirror and I can't believe I'm the one donning this amazing dress.

"Alright, quit admiring yourself. Pharaoh will want to see you soon. Let's do your makeup." Oh, right. I forgot what I was supposed to be doing for a moment. I gotta get Priest Seto out of here. Ma-Kemat quickly rubs a turquoise powder on my eyelids and khol on my waterline and tightline before admiring her work in the sunlight. "Wow, I'm good." I can't help but let out a hearty laugh at that.

Ma then beckons me to follow her through nearly endless corridors. How does she remember how to get around this place half the time?

"Why are we going away from the throne room?" I ask Ma to which she responds quickly, "We need to go fetch the Pharaoh's water for his morning bath." and I swear I could've choked on my saliva just now.

"I'm trying to get you familiar with your most common chores, you have to serve him well."

So, we go and get bath water from the well near the courtyard. Then we carry it back to the throne room which causes my arms to feel like limp noodles.

Then, here we are, standing in front of the throne room once again. Two horrifyingly buff guards open the large oak doors and motion for us to enter, spears at the ready. We enter and set the water down in the huge throne room. Atem is being fawned over by other maidservants, some I could even call concubines.

"You may be excused Ma-Kemat." Ma bows in front of the Pharaoh before turning around and exiting the doors.

"Come forward, (Y/n)." Atem coos as he basically swats off all the other beautiful women fawning over him. They begrudgingly rush out of the room with stomps in their steps. I stand a few feet away from the insanely huge golden throne. Ancient hieroglyphs, gods and goddesses amongst other Egyptian mythological characters poke from the headrest and stare at me with their ruby encrusted eyes.