Where Am I? (RE-VAMPED)

It all happened so fast. From being curious about Capsule Corp's new dueling simulator to being caught in a seering, burning pain. All I wanted was to test the simulator out, of course, I knew the risks as a beta tester - but I didn't expect the whole machine to blow up in my face.

I only expected to play as my favorite dueling card. I remember picking Blue Eyes White Dragon and being excited to delve into this new experience of playing AS a monster. Now, I wonder if that's the last thing that I'll ever experience in the world of the living... Am I dead? Or am I brain dead? Neither of those scenarios appeal to me, which is now just a consciousness in a void.

Oh god... The pain that I felt initially has come back in full throttle. What the hell? My abused lungs are screaming for air and I finally cough up whatever toxins my body has been holding in for so long. Well, that answers my question. I am painfully aware that I am - indeed - alive. My eyes peel open and the stinging of sunlight pierces through them.

Where am I? Craning my neck upwards, I absorb my surroundings, trying to fight through the pain of being caught in a mechanical blast. Hieroglyphs? Muddied walls? What the hell am I looking at? Finally, my neck begs for it to be worked no more, so my head hits the pillow that has been provided on a rather sturdy bed. The bed sheets are plain enough, a simple ivory color. A door opened just a crack stands just diagonally to the right of the beautifully carved footrest of the bed I'm laying on.

As I stare in bewilderment at my surroundings, I hear the door creak open even further. Light permeates the rest of the space and I try and fail to sit up on the bed in order to investigate the source.

"Lay back down before you hurt yourself even further." The voice is familiar, yet strange. I look over to notice a silhouette that looks to be in fine linen robes. He looks like royalty and the garments match closely to my surroundings.

"W-where am I?" My throat is parched, how I could really go for a glass of water right about now.

"My bedroom. In the Priest's Temple." The man replies, his arm reaching for a water pitcher. I could even presume that he just read my mind. "Here. Drink." He instructs me, I do so without complaint as he helps me to lift my head up. The water is surprisingly still cold in the humidity of the room.

"What happened?" I ask, once I'm done drinking from the clay cup he provided me with

"What happened?" I ask, once I'm done drinking from the clay cup he provided me with. I raise a curious brow at his pause before he stands up and approaches the bed to my dismay. Before I can even protest his approach, he comes up with an answer.

"Honestly? I have no idea. You were laying out in the sand like a dead rat. Couldn't leave you out in the desert to rot, could I? That wouldn't look good on me." The man sits at the edge of the bed, his morbid response making my stomach drop. Hmmm, he looks familiar. But I shouldn't worry about that now.

A long pause of silence furthers my discomfort before his voice cuts through its blanket, "Well, guess it's settled then!" I blink a few times before my brain registers what exactly he's saying. "What's settled-"

"You'll stay here in the Priest's Temple until we find you a safe place." The man exclaims, "Excuse me?" Is the only response I can come up with.

"Oh, you look like you need more rest. You have quite a bit of pallor." The man scans my features, "What? But I have more questions! Like- what's your name?"

And then, the ringing in my ears that was faint only moments before becomes ever so loud. Sirens? I try to focus on the man in front of me but my vision is becoming bleary, I know he said something to me just now but- my hearing is muffled. I see concern in the man's face. Now I know why he looks so familiar, "Kaiba?"

Ambulance sirens... I think I'm gonna faint.

And so... I did.

Originally published: June 8th, 2016.

Updated: March 18th, 2020.