Chapter 10: The Great Escape

Dean’s P.O.V.

Well, it had been one hell of a week. Sitting here now beside Grayson on this bar stool, it all sorta came rushing back. A month had passed since the incident with the Wendigo. Cas and Sam turned out okay. Cas was up and moving around after a week. Sam on the other hand, couldn’t move up until last week, and even now his movements seemed pained.

I’ll be honest and admit that that night, almost a month ago, I didn’t think my little brother was gonna make it. There was blood everywhere—not that that was new. Just, the lifeless, hopeless look in his eyes as I attempted to sew the wound up—it tore me apart, but the one thing that sent me over the edge was what he believed were gonna be his last words.

“Let me go.”

I knew he probably blamed himself for letting everyone fall into that trap, but it really wasn’t his fault. He couldn’t have prevented it. I knew actually, it was my fault. If I hadn’t been so emotionally distracted by trying to seduce the beautiful girl sitting beside me, this probably wouldn’t have happened. Then again, if she hadn’t been there, Sam, Cas, and I wouldn’t be here. It wasn’t her fault. What was I thinking?

It occurred to me that I hadn’t told Grayson about this yet; although I’m sure she got the hint when I started crying. I expected her to start making fun of me for being such a wuss, but I’ll be honest and say I was surprised when just quietly walked over and pulled me against her chest. I won’t lie, I enjoyed it, but I also felt a sense of security. I knew she wouldn’t say anything. She didn’t seem like—no, wasn’t that kind of person.

I glanced over at her, watching her take a sip of her beer, her soft lips gently resting on the rim of the bottle. Quietly setting the bottle down afterward, she turned towards me. I lifted my head slightly, looking into her bright blue eyes, a testament to the shining morning blue sky itself. I forced a smile as she raised a cold, thin hand, cupping my face. I couldn’t help, but lean into her touch, wishing we could stay like this, almost protesting when she drew her hand away again.

I caught it as it fell, intertwining my fingers with hers. I small smile graced her seemingly soft, light pink lips. I had felt them before, and I yearned to feel them again. The next thing I knew those lips were on mine—looks like she had caught me staring. It was a tender, teasing kiss. She drew back seconds later, but it had lasted long enough for me to taste the sweet hard cider she had taken a sip of earlier.

I looked up at her, my eyes narrowing. She laughed quietly, taking another silent sip of her drink. I let out a huff of laughter myself, reaching for my beer, only to be greeted with empty air. I looked over. It was gone.

I turned back towards Grayson. She was holding the thin bottle in her hand, waving it at me. I rolled my eyes, holding out a calloused hand, silently asking for it back. She glanced down at it, a playful smirk playing at those perfect lips. With her, you never knew what to expect. To my surprise; however, she just took a small sip of it and handed it back. I gently took it, raising a suspicious eyebrow. She just shrugged.

We were silent as we finished our drinks. Grayson was about to order us another round, when I just laid money down on the counter and grabbed her hand. She seemed surprised at first, but just went along with it once she recovered, letting me guide her out the door.

I had a surprise for her. A genuine one, before any of you start getting any ideas. The sun was just now setting, staining the evening sky a burnt orange and a rather spectacular red. We had brought the Impala this time. We had actually spent about 5 minutes arguing about which car to take, but I had finally managed to convince her we should take Baby.