8

"With a bit of luck, I was hoping you" Levi said and I stared at him, mouth almost agape.

"I'm sorry?" I murmured, it's not that I didn't understand, it was that I just wasn't expecting this at all and it caused all of my emotions to emerge at once. I was almost certain that he'd have a guest coming.

"I want you to have dinner with me" he stated calmly, how he wasn't put off by my nerves already shocked me.

"But my boss-"

"-it's all sorted with Austin"

"That meal, it's my-"

"-Favourite, I know; I asked Nate"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure Amber" he half laughed, half sighed "now please sit down before your food goes cold and I have to complain to the chefs about it"

I giggled slightly and his eyes lit up as I moved to sit down opposite him. One of the things I loved about Corini's was the fact that the tables weren't all packed together, you had a fair amount of room to move around in.

This and the fact I was now sat opposite the boy that had occupied my mind for the past few weeks just made the whole situation seem so intimate and I was loving every second of it.

I got a couple of odd looks from strangers as I sat down but I ignored them because I was almost euphoric at the gesture that must have meant Levi had some interest in me too.

His eyes were even more blue up close, his hair even more fluffy and I had to consciously think other things to stop myself from staring, even if it looked like he was staring a little too.

We were silent for a few moments before he sighed and ran a hand through his hair "God I've been waiting for so long to do this"

"How long did this take to plan?" I asked, blushing slightly as I fiddled with the edge of the tablecloth.

"Not long, just a couple of weeks"

My eyes visibly widened "That's two weeks longer than you needed to spend on me"

"Hey don't say that, they were a great two weeks!" He winked and my heart may or may not have melted.

"Then you sir, are a very sad person" I decided to tease.

"Says the girl who places bets with another waiter on how many rips my jeans will have in them each week"

"Well they do have a lot of rips, but I can't believe Nate told you that oh my-"

"-Are you winning?" He interrupted, a sort of curiosity evident on his features.

"Excuse me?"

"Are you winning the bets each week?"

"Yes?" I said as more of a question, then more confidently "yeah I think I am"

"Then you must know me better than I know myself"

"Oh come on I hardly know you!" I laughed and Levi's face lost the full smile he'd had seconds before. It was silent for a moment as I panicked that I'd done something wrong but the smile morphed into one with a more coy air about it, a smirk almost like the cheeky smiles I received before I'd spoken to him for the first time as he spoke

"Are you willing to learn?" He said.

I raised my eyebrows, that smooth fucker.

***

It was strange that our conversation could flow so easily, like pieces of a jigsaw fitting together into the perfect arrangement of words.

I felt more comfortable with Levi than I ever had with anyone and I don't know whether that was due to the original mystery of his character or even just the smile he gave me every time he saw me but it felt safe, almost homely around him.

Being this close also allowed me to pick up on smaller details. The way his nails were bitten or perhaps the different studs he had in his ears. The number of times he ran his hand through his hair or how he pronounced certain words in a way that made my heart skip.

The topic of his mother came up but not solemnly, it was like he was a lot more open about the situation then he had been before and so my respect for him grew further.

We talked about other stuff too; hobbies, friends, music etc and with each word I learned something new and even though our meals were finished, I wanted to keep on learning.

We sat there a while after we had finished. Nate took our plates away with a smirk aimed at me and brought us the desserts we had chosen afterwards.

After the end of the ice cream, we sat and talked some more. Levi ended up holding my hand over the table, drawing little circles with his thumb as more and more customers left.

Eventually we were the only people left of the second half of the restaurant.

"What time is it?" Levi mumbled, detaching his hand from mine and sitting up in his chair.

I furrowed my eyebrows and checked my phone "10:26" I said and his eyes widened, losing the relaxed look they held just moments before.

"What is it?" I asked and continued when he didn't respond "Levi?"

"I'm so sorry Amber but I have to go now" he rushed, putting his jacket on and standing up frantically, checking the time on his own phone just to be sure "I'm really sorry, I've had a great time so thank you for spending it with me and I'll see you next week yeah? Honestly thank you, just you're amazi- thank you"

The worry in his voice and the speed at which he rushed filled me with curiosity again, where could he possibly need to be at half 10 at night?

"No Levi, thank you for the meal, I've had fun" I smiled, deciding not to question him yet in case the answer ruined the euphoric mood I was in.

He smiled a huge smile at me before standing, tucking in his chair and walking towards the door. He was going and a wave of loneliness began to wash over me.

However, as if he'd read my mind, suddenly, he stopped and turned around, running back in my direction. He smiled again, leant forward, planted a small kiss on my cheek and ran out of the restaurant to wherever it was he needed to be.

I subconsciously touched my cheek and blushed, grinning like an idiot.

I'd had an incredible evening where I'd learnt so much about Levi and yet the fact he had to leave so quickly at the end made me question whether I even knew the mystery at all...

***

hey any new readers! sorry this update took so long, especially seeing as the last chapter was on a bit of a cliffhanger. love to y'all ~Megs